Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Experiencing sustained steering wheel shimmy on our 2011 Pilot (around 200K kms/120K miles). Starts just around hitting 70 mph (120 km/h) and stays there. Sometimes does disappear even at the same speeds as well as is less pronounced when letting go off the pedal and more under acceleration.

New tires (less than 3K on them), new rotors and pads (had brake shimmy issues), countless rebalancing and alignment checks. Both front wheel hub bearings replaced approximately 60K miles (100k kms) ago under warranty.

Don't even start typing "incorrect brake-in procedures", "brake pad deposit" or "incorrect balancing" - I can assure you that neither of those are causing the issue.
Compliance bushings recall was done years ago (although, these were not replaced as they were not leaking or noisy which was the TSB requirement).

Where else should we look? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't have a solution but can share same problem and the wife has absolutely reached her break point.
We have a 2011 EX-L with only 92K on the odometer and have only had the car 2 months. We dropped money on new tires even though we had 8mm tread left all around. It is the strangest thing that it may go away at 70-75 and then you go around a curve come back onto a straight away and there it goes wobbling again. I kept the car at 80 on a recent trip and it never happens at these speeds but would hate to explain to a state trooper why I'm doing 80.

My guy is telling us he wants to do some axle work - we feel like we are just throwing money at a bad design flaw. It seems even if it doesn't apply dozens of Honda products have inner axle issues. Trust me, I've owned nothing but accords and my other driver is a bullet proof 2007 EX-L V6. It is a shame that this problem occurs with such a nice SUV.

We also have the blinking "D" and engine light problem well documented on this blog as well. Doesn't happen all the time, just randomly and that fix is correct and shared on this blog.

I read somewhere someone had put on Michelin tires and things went better. That's one heck of a shot in the dark expensive investment.

Love the car otherwise, wish we had gone and found a 2012 to have bluetooth. As it is, we are moving into the snow belt and need this car. Sorry I couldn't help, but just so you're not feeling isolated!!!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Experiencing sustained steering wheel shimmy on our 2011 Pilot (around 200K kms/120K miles). Starts just around hitting 70 mph (120 km/h) and stays there. Sometimes does disappear even at the same speeds as well as is less pronounced when letting go off the pedal and more under acceleration.

New tires (less than 3K on them), new rotors and pads (had brake shimmy issues), countless rebalancing and alignment checks. Both front wheel hub bearings replaced approximately 60K miles (100k kms) ago under warranty.

Don't even start typing "incorrect brake-in procedures", "brake pad deposit" or "incorrect balancing" - I can assure you that neither of those are causing the issue.
Compliance bushings recall was done years ago (although, these were not replaced as they were not leaking or noisy which was the TSB requirement).

Where else should we look? Thanks!
Early Pilots often had a shudder caused by torque converter lockup slipping. Usually at a little lower speed. Dirty fluid in rear VTM4 differential can also cause vibration. Your Pilot has enough miles for sway bar bushings and upper strut bearings to loosen up.

I think tire noise is the most likely cause. Tires wear unevenly, and balancing can't totally compensate. Vibration at some resonant speed can smooth out at a higher or lower speed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We have the same on our 2013 with about 58k miles. What hasn’t fixed it:

1) New brakes and rotors

2) Latest software for engine/ transmission

3) Changing the trans fluid. It’s been changed twice since new.

4) 4 new Michelin tires

5) New compliance bushings under extended warranty

If you guys figure it out I’d love to know. Everything on ours is still pretty new / tight and hasn’t been abused ever. Ours is a 2wd touring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, folks!
Tires are less than 3 months and have no more than 4000 km on them. Compliance bushings look to be in good shape (and were verified in 2017 during the recall). All new rotors and pads (all around) and calipers confirmed to not be sticking (cleaned and lubed during the last brake job, sliding verified and rotor temperature checked every day after driving during the last week).
Struts (and upper thrust bearings) may be on their way out, though, good point, they are still OK but will let out that occasional squeak/groan when working too hard, indicating that they are getting tired of our s#*t) and I'll double-check the sway bar bushings (I like that theory along with the struts because it feels like the car waddles at slow roll and that could be the reason for a shimmy at higher speeds). All else failing - will flush the diffs and see.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I don't have a solution but can share same problem and the wife has absolutely reached her break point.

I read somewhere someone had put on Michelin tires and things went better. That's one heck of a shot in the dark expensive investment.

Love the car otherwise, wish we had gone and found a 2012 to have bluetooth. As it is, we are moving into the snow belt and need this car. Sorry I couldn't help, but just so you're not feeling isolated!!!
Sorry you are having bad experience with the car. We're second owners of ours and had it since 2013 and approx. 30K km and have been happy with it. It does have its flaws, though: first time in my life did I have to replace hub bearings at around 70K kms (done under extended warranty, though). Transmission switch has been replaced under warranty too (the blinking "D" in our case). Front valve cover leaked and fried alternator, so that needed to be done (out of warranty). I've been having issues with "warped rotors" ever since ditching the original rotors and pads, but I've been experimenting with Akebono pads on various makes of rotors, so that could be somewhat self-inflicted. I may have now found a better combination of rotors/pads, and properly bed them in (not per Akebono procedure this time around), and am now making sure I keep an eye on the pins to avoid calipers being stuck, we'll see how that goes now.
Your issue seems weird (that it only exists at a certain range of speed/RPM and goes away at higher speed if I understood you correctly). If you had a vibration and roaring noise (but not as pronounced and one might think) beginning around 90 Km/h I would definitely tell you that you need to check your front hub bearings, because that's what's been happening in our case.

If you do go with Michelins stay away from their Premier LTX - that is one s#8t tire. Ours lasted less than a year and worn way beyond 4/32 with gentle use and had dry rot on them. I got them at COSTCO and had them replace them with another make/model for about $100 (still a deal, as they technically didn't have to do that and Michelin would've told me to pound sand too). Apparently, dry rot and early wear are a known issue with Michelins and, especially, with their Premier tires. I've always been a big fan of Nokians, still have their winter tires (best ever), but had to go with Michelin because at the time we lived in QC and NOKIANs were not available there. I now have Bridgestone Alenzas and they seem good, but no way even close to Nokians.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts