Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased this 2011 Pilot, 99K miles, overall good shape, except for some rust under the rear on and around the rear subframe.
Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Car
Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Suspension Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Honda pilot

Looking to treat this rust, at least slow it down. I see a range of products( Rust Bullet Automotive, Rust Converter Ultra, Permatex Rust Treatment, Rustoleum Rust Reformer, etc). One guy did a comparison test and chose Ace Hardware's branded Rust Repair. Im not looking for perfect. I bought this car as a third car, to be used mainly to tow a motorcycle trailer to the track.

The rest of the frame looks clean. The car rides solid; it's got new Bilstien B6 shocks/struts, new rotors/pad and tires. Interior is perfect. The timing belt service is also in the near future.

The car came from Pittsburgh, so it's experienced a fair amount of salt in the winters. The spare wheel looks hideous. I already scrapped that with a wire brush and will be testing the Rustoleum product on that. I found a new one for $47 online, so that may be the ultimate answer for that.

Thanks for sharing any experience/advice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just curious, were you able to solve the issue with the rust? If you did what product or action did you do. Mine is doing the same thing

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Just curious, were you able to solve the issue with the rust? If you did what product or action did you do. Mine is doing the same thing
Post some pics of your rust situation for Internet evaluation. If it’s anything like the above pics it may not be too late to slow it down or arrest the rust that’s already there.

·
Registered
Pilot II EX
39 Posts
Recently purchased this 2011 Pilot, 99K miles, overall good shape, except for some rust under the rear on and around the rear subframe. View attachment 132895 View attachment 132896 View attachment 132894

Looking to treat this rust, at least slow it down. I see a range of products( Rust Bullet Automotive, Rust Converter Ultra, Permatex Rust Treatment, Rustoleum Rust Reformer, etc). One guy did a comparison test and chose Ace Hardware's branded Rust Repair. Im not looking for perfect. I bought this car as a third car, to be used mainly to tow a motorcycle trailer to the track.

The rest of the frame looks clean. The car rides solid; it's got new Bilstien B6 shocks/struts, new rotors/pad and tires. Interior is perfect. The timing belt service is also in the near future.

The car came from Pittsburgh, so it's experienced a fair amount of salt in the winters. The spare wheel looks hideous. I already scrapped that with a wire brush and will be testing the Rustoleum product on that. I found a new one for $47 online, so that may be the ultimate answer for that.

Thanks for sharing any experience/advice.
In our country ( RUSSIA ) very popular rust stop liquids like a TEСTYL ZINK , may be you should find some one and use it on your car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts