Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2011 Honda Pilot and the rear windshield wiper doesn’t function.

Checked fuse, good but replaced it anyways. So I picked up a new/used motor off eBay and it didn’t work either. Tested it, and the original with a voltage control adapter and they both work. The wiring harness on the motor has 5 pins. I’m getting around 10v on two of the lines, one yellow one a light orange. Those I believe control the wiper to not function when the lift gate or glass window is ajar. The center line is black ground but the other two I get nothing, purple and light red. I tested the wires from the wiring harness at the engine to the rubber wire conduit leading into the interior roof and I have continuity. Then checked wiring harness to fuse location under the hood. No continuity on either of the two lines.

Additional before tearing into the back hatch the glass hatch would open now it no longer does. What gives?? I'm feeling it might be a bad ground somewhere but can I just create a new ground to the body of the vehicle or do I need to run an line to meet up with the other grounds?

I’m wondering if there’s a slit in the wire somewhere or maybe a relay I’m missing? Would anyone have any good wiring diagrams to trace out the lines or resources that would assist me in voltage on the lines themselves? Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue, I've run all the same test and I'm at a lose would love some insight on this problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ended up picking up a used rear wiper motor and steering column switch to test both. I ruled out the switch. The original motor in my vehicle is bad because with the new used motor I was able to get the glass hatch to open but the wiper still didn’t work. So I ended up determining it’s another type of electrical issue maybe in wiring? I returned both parts and just left the original motor disconnected. Then made a small jumper pin to bypass the connector so the glass hatch button still worked. Major bummer but not wanting to spend a bunch getting it fixed.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I ended up picking up a used rear wiper motor and steering column switch to test both. I ruled out the switch. The original motor in my vehicle is bad because with the new used motor I was able to get the glass hatch to open but the wiper still didn’t work. So I ended up determining it’s another type of electrical issue maybe in wiring? I returned both parts and just left the original motor disconnected. Then made a small jumper pin to bypass the connector so the glass hatch button still worked. Major bummer but not wanting to spend a bunch getting it fixed.
Thanks for circling back on this. Not a common issue, which is why you got a lot of radio silence.

Given what you've done and that you clearly know what you are doing, my guess is a bad relay somewhere (would need relay/wiring diagrams to figure out where that may be) or a damaged wire - both of which were your conclusions.

Unless you are seeing evidence of rodent infestations, I lean more towards a relay if one is in the system. I'm not sure exactly how wiper gets it's signal to operate intermittently and continuously while on and the vehicle is in reverse, but that could be a culprit as well. Really need a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for circling back on this. Not a common issue, which is why you got a lot of radio silence.

Given what you've done and that you clearly know what you are doing, my guess is a bad relay somewhere (would need relay/wiring diagrams to figure out where that may be) or a damaged wire - both of which were your conclusions.

Unless you are seeing evidence of rodent infestations, I lean more towards a relay if one is in the system. I'm not sure exactly how wiper gets it's signal to operate intermittently and continuously while on and the vehicle is in reverse, but that could be a culprit as well. Really need a wiring diagram.
Agreed, wiring diagram would be ideal. I've scoured the internet for a free source but have come up empty handed. I found a digital one for sale on Amazon ($32) but haven't pulled the trigger.

Come to thing of it, you mentioned rodents. When I changed out the cabin air filter inside the glove compartment a few months ago. It was full of old rodent bedding and feces. This was the first time I had replaced that filter since purchasing the vehicle a year or two before. So it most likely was already there at the get go. May be worth digging into that area and checking the wiring. :unsure:

·
Registered
4,646 Posts

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,819 Posts
If you live where corrosion is an issue (minus a rat problem), I'd unbolt (clean contact point if necessary) and re-tighten every ground connection I can find on the vehicle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
95% (when it's not the wiper motor)of the time it's a broken wire in the rubber between the hatch and body.
I took that rubber boot apart and inspected the wires. They all seemed in good order. I also took my meter and was able to tone out each of the four lines there went from the motor connector to that bundle of wires in the hatch boot. :unsure:

·
Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
4,557 Posts
Did you try jiggling the boot while you were checking for continuity? It’s possible with the hatch in the up position the open circuit doesn’t occur.

Also I’m guessing when you checked for continuity that you probed the wire harness at the point closest to where it enters the Pilot main cabin as opposed to closest to where it enters the lift gate.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Under dash fuse box fuse 10 and 38
Auxiliary under hood fuse box #13, 2 wiper relays
The red and purple wires are the motor wires and go from the relays to the motor connector and are both grounded until the relay(s) are energized, this is how the run the motor forward and backwards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts