Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we drove all day Saturday and Sunday morning it would not start. Fuel pump turns on, power seems to be going to the starter, relay by gas pedal seems fine after switching it with the relay next to it.

• 2011 with 109k miles
  • battery tested fine and is new
  • radio, lights work, key is fine
  • the locks work but not always does it alarm.
  • all fuses seem to be fine, tried without key on ignition and again with key in ignition and turn to start position.
  • oil needs to changed appt was scheduled for Monday but couldn't make it since it's not starting
  • check dip stick and oil was barely at the tip of it. Very strange to me. I use synthetic oil and I normally change it myself. No leaks.
  • tried 1 / 6 radio button and power, got 8 digit and got the code online and nothing really seemed to work after I enter the code. I cannot get the 8 digit to appear again.
  • my thoughts were maybe anti theft is the problem but I'm not seeing anything other than the radio to enter the code I entered.
- Next thought is to order a starter, reset the oil life after putting oil in, and if this doesn't work order a neutral shifter.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I'd check all the ground cables and straps. These can become corroded and cause starting and electrical issues. Sometimes just busting loose the bolt holding these and retightening is enough.
  • Battery to Chassis
  • Engine to Chassis
  • Transmission to Chassis

These are some inexpensive replacements that can be found at Wal-Mart if the corrosion is to severe.

I'd disable the VCM. This will help a lot of the oil consumption issue. I use S-VCM.

I'd add some oil until you can get an oil change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd check all the ground cables and straps. These can become corroded and cause starting and electrical issues. Sometimes just busting loose the bolt holding these and retightening is enough.
  • Battery to Chassis
  • Engine to Chassis
  • Transmission to Chassis
View attachment 149051
These are some inexpensive replacements that can be found at Wal-Mart if the corrosion is to severe.

I'd disable the VCM. This will help a lot of the oil consumption issue. I use S-VCM.

I'd add some oil until you can get an oil change.
I checked the wires and all were good. My battery terminal has a starter wire going to the positive side. I pulled it all off and placed them back on.
I did add the oil once I noticed it was that low.

I will try taken the vcm off as you suggest and also make sure the trans, engine, and battery are tight and clean.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,159 Posts
How did you verify all the fuses? Did you pull them out and measure with a multimeter? They eyeballs can miss something if you just visually inspected them.

Have you tried starting it in neutral?

Have you tried starting it with a different key?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts