it has a tow hitch.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Looks like the base model
what should I ask the dealer?
what should I look for?
it has a tow hitch.
That's very low mileage for a car that old. Ask for service records or the carfax on it. See if they'll let your mechanic check it over. Check the condition of the oil and transmission fluid and #1 spark plug. Take it for a test drive at highway speeds and see if it up and downshifts smoothly and doesn't vibrate or shudder. For a base model it's on the high end of the price bellcurve although low mileage helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Should the timing belt have been replaced?
I was watching the video changing the timing belt on the Honda 3.5 and to me it looks easy. I figured if an idiot like me can replace the cam chain on my F-150 Eco-Boost then the Honda would be a piece of cake,, you need to understand all mechanics are uneducated hillbilly idiots that couldn't make it out in the real world with a decent job cause nobody would hire them so you're smarter than them so you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I was watching the video changing the timing belt on the Honda 3.5 and to me it looks easy. I figured if an idiot like me can replace the cam chain on my F-150 Eco-Boost then the Honda would be a piece of cake,, you need to understand all mechanics are uneducated hillbilly idiots that couldn't make it out in the real world with a decent job cause nobody would hire them so you're smarter than them so you can do it yourself.
Not all. My mechanic's son has worked around his dad's shop since he was 15. I watched him grow up, go to college and then go on to grad school to get his MBA. He got top grades and was hired before he graduated by JP Morgan Chase as a Financial Planner. He did that for two years and became a manager. He managed our portfolio and did a great job. But last year, he quit and came back to his dad's shop and works as a mechanic, because that is the work he enjoys doing the most, and makes the most money doing. His dad tells me he's a terrific mechanic.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,317 Posts
The toughest part of a TB change is access. Its tight down there. As for Jimmaki's mechanic's son, that more proof that trades are making alot more money than many white collar jobs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found another Pilot, its a 2015 EX-L with only 78K miles for $12,995, did the VIN check came out good, except it has a white interior that I hate, it's a trip, 40 miles away, called he still has it, debating if I should go cause not sure if I can afford that or get a loan with a monthly payment that I can afford, my limit was $10K,,, I know , I know I will confirm the VIN # when I get there, I am aware of the trick some dealers use by posting the wrong VIN # to cover up issues , I am worried cause of the cheap price he wants for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts