Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Pilot Ex-L. I am looking to fix the driver-side headlight being out. I checked the fuse and it is good. Looking to see if I can find a replacement wiring harness and DIY video. Any help will be great. I just got pulled over for it being out and a big ticket for it.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
No one really changes harnesses on cars unless they've been in a major collision or are very old classic cars. The cost of doing this replacement can be tremendous.

How did you diagnose the faulty harness?
I'd run the standard checks - check the lightbulbs, check the plugs (sometimes they get oxidized).
Check to see you are getting the juice all the way to the lightbulb plug. Only start troubleshooting the rest of the circuit after you confirmed there's no voltage on the plug with the headlights on. Then just keep moving up the loop until you find the culprit.
Service manual (with the wiring diagrams) and multimeter are your best friends.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No one really changes harnesses on cars unless they've been in a major collision or are very old classic cars. The cost of doing this replacement can be tremendous.

How did you diagnose the faulty harness?
I'd run the standard checks - check the lightbulbs, check the plugs (sometimes they get oxidized).
Check to see you are getting the juice all the way to the lightbulb plug. Only start troubleshooting the rest of the circuit after you confirmed there's no voltage on the plug with the headlights on. Then just keep moving up the loop until you find the culprit.
Service manual (with the wiring diagrams) and multimeter are your best friends.
Thanks for a detailed response.
I swapped bulbs and no light
I used a multimeter and no current in wires powering the bulb
I also checked the fuse and replaced it just in case and no luck.

Is it hard to replace a harness DYI? Will it be expensive to get it fixed at a shop?

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
Thanks for a detailed response.
I swapped bulbs and no light
I used a multimeter and no current in wires powering the bulb
I also checked the fuse and replaced it just in case and no luck.

Is it hard to replace a harness DYI? Will it be expensive to get it fixed at a shop?
Don't replace a harness until you must. Only time harness fails is in a crash or from a very old age. I have a 1988 chassis harness in one of my trucks and it's (knock on wood) fine.
Just keep going up the loop with your multimeter until you find the culprit. No juice on the contacts (make sure lights are actually on, including ignition)? OK, move up the loop - check fuse voltage (any coming out of it? any coming in to it?). Then move up to the relay.
Truth be told, wiring only splits up into left/right headlight after the relay, so, if one headlight is good and the other one isn't - that's where your troubleshooting stops. Check that you have good ground on that headlight. There's one chassis grounding point somewhere there, it looks like an effin spider with multiple black wires connecting to it and it bolting to the body - two of those should be for the headlight. But if the issue is with the grounding, then at least you should be getting voltage on the hot wire coming through, the bulb simply won't light up because the loop won't complete.

To confirm - your entire headlight unit is out, right? As in - no DRL, no driving lights, no side markers, no low beam, no high beam, no nothing?

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
This is what you would be replacing if you were to replace it. Do you understand how many things you can mess up in the process?
Find where the circuit is broken and fix just that. Harness replacement is a last resort only after you confirm that the harness is the source of the problem..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts