Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2011 pilot ex. I just bought from my dad. It was due for oil change. Put it on a lift and noticed oil all over the bottom of the oil pan and on the oil drain plug And other parts. So i had my mechanic change the oil and put a new washer on and he sprayed cleaned bottom with break cleaner. A week or 2 later and driving it places, I check And the oil was there again. Check oil level and it seemed to be the same level. Mechanic looked again on the lift. Looked like an bolt above the the drain plug n pan had oil on so he tried tightening it but as already tight. Cleaned oil off again. He even started the engine and left it run. Didn’t see no oil. Ran it and checked every few days no more oil leak. Even had him put a new tire on. No leak but yesterday I looked and you could see oil there again but this time it looks like a thin film. The mechanic still thinks it just left over some may have spilled on the engine. Help.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,174 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A photo of the leak would be helpful. Since the leak appears to be slowing down / stopped, I would keep an eye on it over the next couple weeks.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 1st picture is from before and the 2nd is after it being clean. But now if you run your finger on it you Amherst a very little oil on your fingers

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Oil can run down from other places. Since your vehicle is 9 years old, have the valve cover gaskets, grommets and spark plug tube seals been replaced?

Another leak point can be the oil filter housing gasket.

What is your current milage? The VVT solenoid gaskets can fail. Check fitment on this example. ⬇ (2 sets needed)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have like 153,000 miles. The picture I post of the oil leak isn’t as bad when I 1st go it from my dad. Not sure if the valve gasket or tube seals been replaced. The oil filter housing gasket ? We put a new oil filter when I got my oil changed.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
I have like 153,000 miles. The picture I post of the oil leak isn’t as bad when I 1st go it from my dad. Not sure if the valve gasket or tube seals been replaced. The oil filter housing gasket ? We put a new oil filter when I got my oil changed.
The need for spark plug tube seals is evident if your spark plugs are covered in oil. Simply look down each spark plug tube.
If your valve covers are leaking, oil will be present just below them on the heads.
The oil filter housing (base) is what the oil filter screws onto. There is a gasket between it and the oil pump (#10 In this parts diagram).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts