Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

As the name implies, I'm new to this. We just picked up a 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L that has been meticulously maintained. The problem is, I really prefer the Touring in-dash screen/backup camera versus the basic dash screen and backup camera output into the rearview mirror.

There seem to be lots of used OEM screens available on Ebay, and sometimes on Walmart's website (part number: 39810-SZA-A410-M1), but I called up my local Honda and they said swapping parts like this is impossible.

Current dash:
ex-l.JPG

What I want:
touring.JPG

*Only want to swap the screens, ideally. Everything else can stay the same as the first image.

Questions:
Is this swap possible?
2. Is it plug-and-play, and if not, how complicated is the rewiring (again, noob here)?
3. If not plug-and-play, does anyone know what wiring kit I need? I can find the head units easily enough, haven't seem much for wiring..

Apologies if this has been discussed in a previous thread, I looked but didn't see anything.
Thanks for your help!

Edit: I understand that the dash shape of the EX-L and Touring may be different, but I'm sure I've read that some EX-L came with navigation/large screen, so there must be a way for me to add a screen on top vs what other users tend to do (single DIN aftermarket replacement or double DIN in where the control knobs/cd changer is). Right??

·
Registered
517 Posts
As far as I know, impossible. There is a lot of other stuff 'behind the scenes'. Additional support units, wiring harnesses etc.

Your best bet is an aftermarket unit.
Option 1: Aftermarket Navigation Radio For Honda Pilot 2009-2013
It should fit your EX-L and they claim full plug and play, though not sure how is the rear camera supported. I did read that in-unit apps are kinda sluggish, but CarPlay/Android Auto works well, so you will want the add-on. Also not sure if they support the factory subwoofer.

Option 2: Single-DIN head unit with a 'floating' screen.
This adapter kit: Scosche HA1711B Dash Kit Fits select 2009-up Honda Pilot models single-DIN radios at Crutchfield
And then you use a head such as Sony XAV-AX8000, Alpine ILX-F259 (or, if you are willing to splurge, Alpine Halo9 ILX-F309) Will also need a steering wheel adapt unit and a small mono amp if you want to keep using factory sub. The screen at dash top will retain climate control info. Backup camera will require some rewiring.

Option 3: Double-DIN head unit. (Pretty much any head unit with a 7" touch screen and Android Auto/Apple CarPlay support)
The brackets can be fairly easily adapted to hold a standard double-DIN, but making it look 'factory' in the dash might be a bit of a challenge. Maybe get the single-DIN adapter from option 2 and hack it up a bit?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. It's pretty disappointing that an OEM swap isn't possible or at least feasible. I have been looking at the aftermarket options you mentioned, I might have to save up for a Halo9, though I'm not sure that's a wise investment into a 2011 vehicle..

·
Registered
517 Posts
Some considerations are: the Nav unit only has preamp outputs and requires install of an external amplifier, and rewiring all the speaker routing. You would literally need to rip apart all of the dashboard for that.
Screen alone would not cut it. You will need to tear out and replace the entire stack: screen, audio unit/ climate control and they are NOT connector compatible with your harnesses.
Your under-dash fuse box (MICU) most likely is not equipped to provide the circuits needed. I.e. when I was adding seat heaters to my 2013 EX, the under-hood fuse box has just bare plastic in the slots where heater fuses go on the EXL/Touring. I had to do piggy-back circuits. In your case, you would likely need to swap in a Touring MICU, which is a major hassle.
On top of that, what would you be getting? A highly outdated audio unit that annually requires expensive proprietary nav data (which is a nuisance to get) in order to keep it current. No Android Auto/CarPlay.

A unit like Halo9: keep all the installation stuff, manuals etc, and stash your OEM audio unit somewhere. Get an adapting harness so you don't need to cut any factory wiring. If you decide to get rid of the Pilot, you can always swap the OEM unit back in and keep the Halo 9 - then either sell it or put it into another car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Some considerations are: the Nav unit only has preamp outputs and requires install of an external amplifier, and rewiring all the speaker routing. You would literally need to rip apart all of the dashboard for that.
Screen alone would not cut it. You will need to tear out and replace the entire stack: screen, audio unit/ climate control and they are NOT connector compatible with your harnesses.
Your under-dash fuse box (MICU) most likely is not equipped to provide the circuits needed. I.e. when I was adding seat heaters to my 2013 EX, the under-hood fuse box has just bare plastic in the slots where heater fuses go on the EXL/Touring. I had to do piggy-back circuits. In your case, you would likely need to swap in a Touring MICU, which is a major hassle.
On top of that, what would you be getting? A highly outdated audio unit that annually requires expensive proprietary nav data (which is a nuisance to get) in order to keep it current. No Android Auto/CarPlay.

A unit like Halo9: keep all the installation stuff, manuals etc, and stash your OEM audio unit somewhere. Get an adapting harness so you don't need to cut any factory wiring. If you decide to get rid of the Pilot, you can always swap the OEM unit back in and keep the Halo 9 - then either sell it or put it into another car.
Something like the Halo 9 is intriguing. In my case, I've got the 10 speaker factory setup and I'm really seeing no way to swap my head unit without totally replacing speakers/amp.

That said, I have the EXL RES model, I'm really curious as to whether or not that would make the swap to factory nav more possible? I'm thinking I've got a lot of different wiring going on than an LX.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think the seicane is your best fit to original and more

Never seen this one before. Same issues as other options, unsure how it would work, if at all with my 10 speaker factory package.... Likewise, I have RES, presume that wouldn't work. That's really not an issue for me.

Also, what an ugly brand logo on the thing.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Something like the Halo 9 is intriguing. In my case, I've got the 10 speaker factory setup and I'm really seeing no way to swap my head unit without totally replacing speakers/amp.

That said, I have the EXL RES model, I'm really curious as to whether or not that would make the swap to factory nav more possible? I'm thinking I've got a lot of different wiring going on than an LX.
It might be somewhat more compatible, but if the screen at dash top is just climate/radio readouts, you will likely still have major issues. And again, I would question the prudence of doing all that work just to stick in a highly outdated nav unit in there. You will be pining for a proper CarPlay/Android Auto support in no time, which will likely mean extra $500+ for NavTool. And you will still not have a touch screen, and will have to use wheel-mounted remote. On my recent trip to Switzerland, I rented Audi Q5, and its nav screen is remote-based, not touch. I did not like it at all.

Anything non-factory will most likely not work with factory amp. Even if it has preamp outputs, it will lack the ability to communicate gain/crossover settings. One option will be to disable and bypass the factory amp entirely.
Run a cable like this:
From head unit speaker outs to factory amp location, and just wire it directly to amp's outputs. Front (dash) tweeters can be wired parallel to fronts. Rear sats would have to be connected in series with rear door speakers, and front/rear distribution adjusted accordingly. Such layout will also lose the factory sub unless an additional amp is installed.

Depending on which aftermarket system you go with, you actually might retain the use of RES. I.e. my Alpine ILX-207 has RES support, and I am pretty sure I would be able to make it work if my car had one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts