Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Honda Pilot ex I want a factory sunroof installed. I have a professional welder that do the work. If I get the factory hold cut out of a salivate yard pilot and weld it in my pilot and get the other parts will it work or leak?

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,328 Posts
I'm going to burst your bubble. You have an EX. Only an EXL came with factory sunroof. If it has leather, someone added after market leather.

To get a factory style sunroof.

In the factory, they have two styles of roof. One with a sunroof hole and one without.
Then there is the cassette that holds the sunroof and its mechanism and is bolted to the roof.
Then there is the ECU that controls the sun roof
Then there are the switches
Then there are all the wiring harnesses, fuses etc that connect the switches to the power to the ecu to the sunroof
Then there is the new headliner that you'll need.

Then there is the downtime on your car while its interior is completely removed, the airbags and wiring in the roof removed, old roof cut out, new roof welded in, then painted, then cassette added...etc...etc......

You are far better off trading it in for a Pilot with a sunroof.

PS some honda sites suggest the roof with sunroof hole is No longer available.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Me personally, I'd prefer a vehicle that didn't have a sun roof. Less problems. But if you insist, go with an aftermarket that stands alone.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
2011 Honda Pilot ex I want a factory sunroof installed. I have a professional welder that do the work. If I get the factory hold cut out of a salivate yard pilot and weld it in my pilot and get the other parts will it work or leak?
You've received wise advice thus far against welding an OEM sunroof to your EX. There is another big issue for your project: the OEM sunroof will require drainage lines to discharge any water (rain) that collects within the sunroof. I like impossible mods and yours is possible but there are some important obstacles in the way that need to be addressed.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
One more thing: when you start cutting your EX roof open be sure to create a build thread here to wow the naysayers. Maybe this Pilot owner can provide some inspiration for making your project. Now that’s unique. View attachment 147376
Billy Bob doesn't need no stinkin lift gate! Lol

Reactions: The Todd and aggrex

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
For the record I've never heard/experienced a leaky sunroof on a Honda. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but Honda does a good job designing and sealing them. I have vowed to never own a vehicle without one because I enjoy it so much.

I would think the cost of having an aftermarket sunroof installed would potentially be the same if not more than finding a comparable Pilot with a sunroof and just buying it and selling your current one.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Seriously, the point?

I can understand a DIY guy who seriously knows what he is doing, got the skills and the tools, and gets a lower-featured 'project car' to jam-pack it full of extra features just because he enjoys doing that kind of work. And, as he is doing it himself, he can often do it real cheap. Or, more importantly, he is usually interested in putting in something better than standard factory stuff from higher trim. Someone like that can come to a forum to ask a very specific technical question.
You come across like someone who doesn't really have a clue, asking if you can stuff seats/mirrors/windshield/speakers/wheels/stereo yada yada from a Touring into your EX. Well, the answers you are going to get are about guaranteed to be "in theory", cause people just don't do that sort of stuff. You do research, you decide which features you really want, and you get the model that has them. End of story. Sure, a couple minor bits and pieces can be upgraded, but if you want a sunroof, you buy a car with one.

The roof has internal structure that is part of the overall safety cage, and I am about 100% certain that there are significant structural differences between a roof designed with a hole in it and one without. What would most likely be needed is to remove entire roof of the car, and replace it with a roof from an EXL/Touring using factory-grade welding. That assuming that there are no differences in the actual body structure to support a different roof design. And be sure to run this mod by your insurance, cause if your roof folds in an accident and people get injured, no insurance is going to pay for it.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,185 Posts
OP Tony,

Welding? IN the roof of a Pilot? I realize you're not kidding.

Heed the good/great advice you have here.

Don't Do it!

Reactions: big shrek

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,185 Posts
Better yet, I'll trade you my 08 SE, With sunroof, RES, etc. straight up.
It works great, and never leaks a drop. We RARELY ever even use it.

Reactions: big shrek
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.