Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out what’s going on with my pilot.
Around 150k miles, had to replace the alternator last year, replaced the battery too.
Dash lights started randomly popping up shortly after (check engine, VTM-4, low traction and VSA) I got the codes read and they came up with a misfiring on cylinder 6. The car still drives fine and I haven’t noticed any issues except for some odd electrical problems;
-When I push auto to roll up both front windows at the same time, my right window will roll down instead of up.
-I never turned my radio off and it had been working fine until one day I did turn it off and now it will not turn back on
-Heating works but A/C does not, I did recharge it a while back but it didn’t fix the problem (though I think this may be unrelated)

I’ve checked every fuse in the car (2 fuse boxes under the hood and 1 inside) and all fuses look good as new. My radio does still display the time, fan speed, air conditioning information and compass heading.

Not sure if it could be a programming issue or if there’s some sort of wire crossing occurring. Any help on where to look next would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Trying to figure out what’s going on with my pilot.
Around 150k miles, had to replace the alternator last year, replaced the battery too.
Dash lights started randomly popping up shortly after (check engine, VTM-4, low traction and VSA) I got the codes read and they came up with a misfiring on cylinder 6. The car still drives fine and I haven’t noticed any issues except for some odd electrical problems;
-When I push auto to roll up both front windows at the same time, my right window will roll down instead of up.
-I never turned my radio off and it had been working fine until one day I did turn it off and now it will not turn back on
-Heating works but A/C does not, I did recharge it a while back but it didn’t fix the problem (though I think this may be unrelated)

I’ve checked every fuse in the car (2 fuse boxes under the hood and 1 inside) and all fuses look good as new. My radio does still display the time, fan speed, air conditioning information and compass heading.

Not sure if it could be a programming issue or if there’s some sort of wire crossing occurring. Any help on where to look next would be greatly appreciated.
It does sound like some funny stuff going on. You might check your grounding cables (times 3). Battery to frame, frame to the engine, frame to transmission. If in good shape.., you might disconect and clean the metal of any rust and/or corrosion. I'd address any Engine codes after that. Make sure your air filter is clean, make sure your plastic air intake hose is not cracked or leaking, clean your (MAF) Mass Airflow sensor. And most of all, if you want to drive this vehicle another 100k miles + , disable the VCM.
It would help if you posted specific codes. I'm sure we can help with some DIY.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does sound like some funny stuff going on. You might check your grounding cables (times 3). Battery to frame, frame to the engine, frame to transmission. If in good shape.., you might disconect and clean the metal of any rust and/or corrosion. I'd address any Engine codes after that. Make sure your air filter is clean, make sure your plastic air intake hose is not cracked or leaking, clean your (MAF) Mass Airflow sensor. And most of all, if you want to drive this vehicle another 100k miles + , disable the VCM.
It would help if you posted specific codes. I'm sure we can help with some DIY.
Appreciate the response. Code came up
-P0301 Misfire No. 1 Cylinder (I was incorrect about it being the 6th)

Slight update though, I just took the car out and randomly decided to try pushing the radio power button on again. It did nothing but then about 10 seconds later, the radio suddenly turned on after both my hands were back on the wheel. (Perhaps a coincidence but it happened right as I went over train tracks)
Now my volume control on the center console does work but no other radio related controls work on the center console. The ones on my steering wheel however work as normal. Process of elimination tells me that there’s a loose or corroded radio wire? Not sure how or if that ties into my window problem or the dash lights.
I’ll get under the hood and try to clean and inspect what I can and post an update.

·
Registered
556 Posts
For the radio, try pushing in on the plastic that surrounds the buttons next time you have the car shut off. There is a thread or two about the radio connection getting loose. It is happened to our 2010 before.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Could be your ignition coil. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/intermotor-ignition-coil-e1124/10194644-P?searchTerm=Demsp ignition coil
It is fairly easy to swap the questionable one (cylinder one) with another cylinders and see if the code switches to the cylinder you put it in. This happen to me also. I always use OEM Denso parts when available. The link I posted is not a Denso part but that is what they look like. I would look only for a Denso if your keeping the vehicle and don't want to replace it again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts