Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!

I have a 2011 Honda Pilot Touring with around 80k miles. A month or so ago, it's starting making a clinking sound when above 60 mph. Sounds like it's coming from behind the dash on the driver side, but I can't locate it. It does not change with RPM (so I don't think it's engine related), or road conditions (so probably not suspension related), or HVAC setting. I've also tried cleaning out all the vents under the hood thinking it might be something getting blown around in the wind, but no luck yet.

I tried capturing a video of the sound here:
(turn up volume - it's hard to hear on camera through the road noise).

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,283 Posts
By clinking sound, are you talking about a kind of metallic sound? If so I did not hear that. I did hear two or three thumps but no clink. But then I am older so my hearing may not be as good, even with the volume all the way up.

Have you tried twisting yourself into a pretzel to get a good look up under the dash for anything that might be loose? it's a long shot, but tracking down noises can be a difficult process with the circumstances you are describing.

If you don't have one then and automotive Stethoscope may be of use to you, if for nothing else than for narrowing down where the sound is coming from.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52750-...tethoscope&qid=1597074766&s=automotive&sr=1-2

It won't make you Ben Casey (TV show from the 60's) but they can be useful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about the video, I'll try to make a better one when my wife gets home. The thumps are just me driving over the well funded CA roads...

The sound is similar to having 3-4 keys in your hands and lightly tossing / fumbling them with your fingers. So yeah, a little metallic.

I haven't tried the preztel method, but only because I'm on the tall side. I'll give that a shot this evening. I'll order a stethoscope. Might be tough since the sound only occurs when driving on the freeway, but if my wife is driving I might be able to pinpoint the location.

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Any rattling over bumps, I'm thinking struts, but as @Daltongang has sugested, a thorough inspection would be good. Check your lower A-frame bushings. All bushings, ball joints etc for anything loose or torn.
You might be dragging some bailing wire. (Its happened to me)

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately it does not correspond to suspension movement. I've dealt with those issues in previous cars and this isn't the same. I'll look for anything caught, but I'd expect to hear that at lower speeds too.

I appreciate the response.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,283 Posts
I'm gonna take a real long shot here, just because I have seen/dealt with what I am going to ask/suggest.

Is this your car or your wife's car? When my wife owned a Rav 4 she complains to me one day about a new noise in the dash. A rattling, clunking kind of sound. Took a while to find the problem, but long story short, she put a little makeup bottle into the glove box, probably on top of the numerous other items she kept in her auxiliary purse/glove box and by chance when she closed the glove box it fell through the space between the top of the back of the glove box and the inner dash housing. It was sliding and banging around in there until I final found it. And yes I am quite positive that is what happened, as I was able to replicate the situation once I found that stupid little bottle.

Like I said, a long shot, but strange things do happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol it is absolutely my wife's car. I didn't think about that. I'll clear out everything in the interior and look for possible places anything could've fallen into when she gets home today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts