Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone I came here for my parents pilot, and I was looking to do some maintenance for it.
It has 145k miles on it, and one thing I can say is they never changed the brake fluid nor power steering fluid which I will do if possible. I can do the tranny fluid since its simple with a drain and fill, I came here for the power steering flush since I dont know how much fluid I would need to flush it until clean, also would I need to replace the power steering cap or is it still good? Any tools I would need for this job?

Another thing is the brake fluid is at this point pure trash, so I am looking to flush it well and Ive seen other posts here regarding it.
How much fluid would I need to flush it and what tools?

Our DRL light is out on the drivers side and when I hit it on the top of the headlight it turns back on and works, why is that?
Also our 3rd row seating has the famous back peeling issue where the cardboard is ripped badly, is that a simple fix or a dealer job?

·
Registered
583 Posts
1) Welcome

2) Power Steering - Get a fluid extractor or even a turkey baster to suck the fluid out of the reservoir. Refill with ONLY OEM Honda Power Steering Fluid. Drive around or turn the steering wheel back and forth a few times. Repeat a 3 - 4 times until you're happy you've got most of it. If the cap is present and seems to seal the reservoir I wouldn't replace it. If it looks destroyed / non-functional - replace it.

3) Brakes - Very standard stuff here. You can use a vacuum system, a pressurized system, or you can do the old pump and open the bleeder screw method. Personally I got a vacuum bleeder for my compressor from Harbor Freight years ago and it works fine on the Pilot. Standard DOT 3/4 fluid. One of the bigger sized bottles seems to usually do it in my experience.

4) You're right about the transmission fluid. Honda fluid or Valvoline Maxlife ATF seem popular. You should drive it and repeat the drain and fill 3 times to accomplish a "fluid change" otherwise you're really only replacing about 1/3 - 1/2 of the fluid.

5) DRL light - replace the bulb. It's incandescent and jarring it can move the filament and can cause it to temporarily reconnect. If a new bulb does the same thing start wiggle testing wiring... but 95% sure a new bulb will be the fix.

6) I don't know anything about the peeling issue. Ours hasn't had that nor have I heard about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) Welcome

2) Power Steering - Get a fluid extractor or even a turkey baster to suck the fluid out of the reservoir. Refill with ONLY OEM Honda Power Steering Fluid. Drive around or turn the steering wheel back and forth a few times. Repeat a 3 - 4 times until you're happy you've got most of it. If the cap is present and seems to seal the reservoir I wouldn't replace it. If it looks destroyed / non-functional - replace it.

3) Brakes - Very standard stuff here. You can use a vacuum system, a pressurized system, or you can do the old pump and open the bleeder screw method. Personally I got a vacuum bleeder for my compressor from Harbor Freight years ago and it works fine on the Pilot. Standard DOT 3/4 fluid. One of the bigger sized bottles seems to usually do it in my experience.

4) You're right about the transmission fluid. Honda fluid or Valvoline Maxlife ATF seem popular. You should drive it and repeat the drain and fill 3 times to accomplish a "fluid change" otherwise you're really only replacing about 1/3 - 1/2 of the fluid.

5) DRL light - replace the bulb. It's incandescent and jarring it can move the filament and can cause it to temporarily reconnect. If a new bulb does the same thing start wiggle testing wiring... but 95% sure a new bulb will be the fix.

6) I don't know anything about the peeling issue. Ours hasn't had that nor have I heard about it.
So for #4 I will be doing just two drains, I got 8 quarts in the way is this enough?
And awesome for the drl light!! Is there a part # for it or just the dealer?

·
Registered
583 Posts
So for #4 I will be doing just two drains, I got 8 quarts in the way is this enough?
And awesome for the drl light!! Is there a part # for it or just the dealer?
4) Sounds about right, the service manual says 3.4 quarts on a drain / fill.

According to Sylvania (a major bulb manufacture) it’s just a standard 9005 type bulb. Should be able to get them anywhere.

Reactions: ncatona

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright so I got to check my transmission fluid when hot and after it got parked and shut off, the fluid on the dipstick was above the full mark by a bit.... is it bad that the transmission is overfilled with fluid? I will recheck it one more time after a drive.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
Hey everyone I came here for my parents pilot, and I was looking to do some maintenance for it.
It has 145k miles on it, and one thing I can say is they never changed the brake fluid nor power steering fluid which I will do if possible.
Has the timing belt ever been replaced?
If not, it's overdue.

Check to make sure all of the recalls have been completed, especially for the airbags:
Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Honda Owners Site

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update- I flushed the power steering fluid, I got a 3/8 hose and a one way adapter and got it connected to the return line of the pump resevior hose, I also plumbed the return line inlet port on the resevior so it didnt loose fluid when flushing. Pretty simple I ran about 3 12 ounce honda power steering bottles before it ran clean. I also took the resevior out amd flushed it with some rubbing alcohol to get the sediments out of the filter.

Tranny fluid super simple, Opened the fill bolt with a breaker bar and removed the tranny dipstick, then I opened the drain bolt and had 4 quarts come out. Got the drain plug back in, refilled it and its good to go, will do one more drain and fill in 5k miles to clean the system up.

Next job will be the brake flush which is BADLY needed, I dont think its ever been touched and its got some green moss/buildup on the inner screen of the resevior so its got to go. Also the pcv valve has never been touched, should I replace that as well?? Thanks

·
Registered
583 Posts
I’d do the pcv. They’re generally cheap. At a minimum consider cleaning it out.

Reactions: ncatona

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update- Brake fluid has been flushed and a week later it started to turn green again 🤣🤣🤣 im sure one last flush wont hurt, this was done at a shop.
Also did a 2nd tranny drain and fill, this made the shifts butter smooth and no more vibrations like before. The power steering runs great and fluid is still nice and clean, its slightly above the full line.
The next step is a pcv valve replacement which..... is original and am worried about attempting it. I made another thread just for it.
The pilot is now at 160k miles and we plan on selling it soon due to us kids getting older, this vehicle has been amazing since we had it at 30k miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts