Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Honda Pilot EX with navigation Radio/Navigation Upgrade I'm looking to upgrade my radio/navigation system in my vehicle due to the outdated navigation and issues with radio reactivity(occasionally buttons don't work) what is the best radio/ navigation upgrade i can get? What will happen to the upper monitor if I change it to a radio with navigation? Will it also have my temperature setting and all of the extra stuff the honda pilot radio screen displays? All advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
61 Posts
2011 Honda Pilot EX with navigation Radio/Navigation Upgrade I'm looking to upgrade my radio/navigation system in my vehicle due to the outdated navigation and issues with radio reactivity(occasionally buttons don't work) what is the best radio/ navigation upgrade i can get? What will happen to the upper monitor if I change it to a radio with navigation? Will it also have my temperature setting and all of the extra stuff the honda pilot radio screen displays? All advice is appreciated!
Suck but because of the Pilots setup, we are highly limited to a small number of stereos and Navigation. Might want to try going to Crutchfield.com

·
Registered
750 Posts
Bad news: you would have had MUCH easier time upgrading if you did NOT get the Nav upgrade for your EX. The biggest issue is that wedge-shape area above audio unit with climate control display - it is integrated into audio unit. Can't replace audio unit without losing that. Which kinda puts you into same boat as 2012-15 Pilot owners.

Your least invasive option is NavTool : HONDA PILOT 2009-2011 NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE with BUILT-IN HD SMARTPHONE MIRRORING via HDMI
Basically a piece that goes between your audio unit and the top display, and you get a remote control button pad to strap onto your steering wheel.
Problems with this: I hear their support is quite sketchy - if something does not work right, you are SOL.
The stock screen resolution is kinda blah, and you are stuck with a composite video input.
Android Auto support can be iffy. Not an issue if are an iPhone user, but still...
If your current radio is giving up the ghost, NavTool is not going to be much help.

Another option is to essentially mod your console so that you cut out the clear plastic and install a new aftermarket head in place of the top color screen. The factory audio unit remains in and is powered, but not connected to any speakers.
That is what I did in my 2013 EX:

What is your budget for this upgrade and how would you gauge your handiness level?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts