Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left work yesterday and my Pilot cranked right up no issue. I got most of the way home and was sitting still in 5 o'clock traffic. The car in front of me started off and as soon as I took my foot off of the brake and went to put it on the accellerator my car shut off and all the lights on the dash came on. I was luckily rolling enough I crept to the side of the road. Put it in park and turned it to crank. It continuously turned over but wouldn't start. My husband pushed me home with his truck. Today we have tested battery, compression, spark, fuel all of which seem to be working fine. The fuel pump engages when the key is turned on. There is fuel coming out at the fuel rail connection. Tried removing the air filter cover and sprayed starter fluid in but it still wouldn't pop off. Any ideas? I have googled as many key words as I can think of but am still not finding anything that we haven't checked. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
828 Posts
How many miles on your pilot? Over 100k miles? Overdue for the timing belt service? I sincerely hope that I am wrong, but a broken timing belt would give you this exact scenario. I know because I put off timing belt service on my daughter's old 4 cylinder Accord (a great little car), and this is how it died. Again, I hope that I am wrong, but this could be a broken timing belt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
179000...we just replaced the timing belt about 2 months ago...it has been running great until yesterday. Doesn't appear that the timing has slipped.

·
Registered
603 Posts
How many miles on your pilot? Over 100k miles? Overdue for the timing belt service? I sincerely hope that I am wrong, but a broken timing belt would give you this exact scenario. I know because I put off timing belt service on my daughter's old 4 cylinder Accord (a great little car), and this is how it died. Again, I hope that I am wrong, but this could be a broken timing belt.
A broken timing belt would fail a compression test, because some valves will be open, and some will be bent. You cannot build compression with bent valves. A proper compression test would test all 6 cylinders..... of course when they say they "tested compression" we assume they pulled all 6 spark plugs and tested compression in each cylinder.

OP - did you pull all plugs and test compression in all cylinders?

When you tested spark, how did you test it? If you truly have spark, then your cam/crank sensors are working.

That leaves fuel. You can have good fuel pressure, but not have your injectors firing. I'd probably lean in that direction. HOWEVER.... if you have compression AND spark, it should cough and stumble-start on light sprays of starting fluid.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Can always remove a upper timing belt cover and examine belt.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Don't even need to do that. Just pop open the inspection port on the side of the upper cover and watch while someone cranks. If the cam gear doesn't move, the belt is broken
I'm usually on my own, but ya.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hopefully the code reader will tell you something. You could also check section 4-5 of the repair manual from the sticky for the start up issue checklist.

I know you said you tested the battery, but what was the condition of it? If you haven't already, I would check the cables, ground and connections to be sure all are tight. I would also connect another car or donor battery while starting just to be sure there are enough amps available.

While I don't see it come up on this forum, one of my previous cars (not a Honda) had an issue with the crankshaft position sensor that caused start up issues. Not sure if those are trouble for the Pilots or not.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Timing belt is fine and was just replaced a few months ago.
That's good!
Really need to be able to read any codes it has. I'm sure the engine light came on when it shut down like that.

·
Registered
603 Posts
P0365 - Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor B No Signal
  • Defective sensor
  • Wiring fault
P0113 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor Circuit High Voltage
  • Faulty Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor
  • Dirty air filter
  • Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor harness is open or shorted
  • Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor circuit poor electrical connection
P3400 - Oil sensor
  • Defective sensor
  • Low Oil
  • Wiring fault
The engine wont run with a cam sensor signal lost.

I'd guess you have a wiring harness failure (rodents?) or you have a serious voltage issue.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Look up each of these codes. Follow instructions. YouTube the codes. Nothing like a mechanic walking you through.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
A dirty Mass Airflow sensor (MAS) can cause P0113. I've used CRC QD Electronic Cleaner on these to remove the dust. Let it dry thoroughly. Rarely ever had to replace one. I've never had a MAS prevent engine from starting, but I've sure had a dirty one make an engine not run well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My timing belt went 6 months after replacing. If you haven't confirmed that the belt and camshaft are moving when the engine is turned over you should do so.
In my case the new tensioner had failed causing the belt failure etc.
My money is on the belt right now.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My timing belt went 6 months after replacing. If you haven't confirmed that the belt and camshaft are moving when the engine is turned over you should do so.
In my case the new tensioner had failed causing the belt failure etc.
My money is on the belt right now.
How did the new tensioner fail? Did it lose tension? What brand was it? You have me paranoid...

·
Registered
603 Posts
How did the new tensioner fail? Did it lose tension? What brand was it? You have me paranoid...
Ive seen many reports of failures right after a timing belt job. Most of them are either defective tensioners, or broken bolts for the idler pulley.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts