Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a 2011 Pilot with 143K on it. Looked it over very carefully and so no red flags anywhere. Drove great. Good Carfax. Everything you would want to see. 2 days after getting it, I started it up in the AM and heard a knocking noise from the engine but it only lasted about 5-8 sec and quit. Immediately turned off the engine and started it back up...nothing. Quite as a mouse. Drove it several more times that day and it never did it again. Next morning, same exact thing. Only on the very first start on. So, that’s 2 days in a row with NO noise, and 2 days in a row, WITH the noise. Started it up the 3rd day and it did it again. Took it to the shop and dropped it off that afternoon. They could NOT duplicate the issue for about 4-5 days and then one day it did slightly make the noise (as I’m typing, I’m trying to remember the weather and I believe the days it is more pronounced, the weather may have been cooler those days, but cannot confirm 100%). They said it sounded like it was coming from behind the timing cover. We decided to go ahead and plan on doing the timing belt job for thinking the tensioner may be going bad. Got that completed yesterday. Drove it home and sat overnight. Started it up this AM (cooler outside again), and the same noise was there. I have a video of it, but I’m not sure how to post it. Just wanted to hear your guys thoughts on it. I’m thinking piston slap? Rod knock would seem to get worse and I wouldn’t think it to be an intermittent issue (shop had it for almost 2 weeks, starting it almost everyday and only duplicated it maybe 2x max). Thanks!

·
Registered
557 Posts
My TB belt tensioner issue had a more rapid sound than that. Have you check the tension of the timing and accessory belts themselves in case there is slack? What about the operation of the accessory belt adjuster by the compressor?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check those today. I will watch them as I have somebody start it. I have watch them after the engine was started and already running smooth and nothing seem to be showing any slack, but I have not specifically watched it during the start up operation. Thanks I’ll give that a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
YouTube
Here’s a link to the video

My TB belt tensioner issue had a more rapid sound than that. Have you check the tension of the timing and accessory belts themselves in case there is slack? What about the operation of the accessory belt adjuster by the compressor?

My timing belt tensioner issue sounded exactly like that. It was intermittent, only happening a few times, then it started happening every time I would start my car. Once warmed up, the noise went away. I replaced the tensioner and all is good now.

It was obvious that all the hydraulic dampening fluid inside the old tensioner leaked out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem with my 2011 Pilot with 150k km. Not every time but when happens typically lasts for 30 odd seconds after engine start up. Weather extremely hot. 45 C = 113 F.
@ TBrok 497 was the issue resolved by replacing TB tensioner?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same problem with my 2011 Pilot with 150k km. Not every time but when happens typically lasts for 30 odd seconds after engine start up. Weather extremely hot. 45 C = 113 F.
@ TBrok 497 was the issue resolved by replacing TB tensioner?
No it did not. Still does it on cold mornings - only for a few seconds and then quits. We are just running it. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Hope this imitation failing TB tensioner sound gets figured out. Hopfully not a connecting rod.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts