Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello any help greatly appreciated:
Hx: Pilot ran fine until it stalled last week and then refused to start.
  • Battery is only 2 years old, has 3 year warranty and appears to be fine (I did check it)
  • Car turns over and doesn't seem to be slow to turn over, yet does not spark
  • Bought a Foxwell OBDII reader and received a P0365 Camshaft Position Sensor B Circuit 1 code
  • Check wiring to and replaced the sensor
  • Charged battery up and tried to start the car, but still won't start
-Rechecked Code and P0365 still comes up
Does anyone know whats going on? Any guidance/thoughts greatly appreciated.

Also note oil pressure light came on a day or two before but oil level fine and recently changed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: BYIFAN,

In what regard? Excuse my ignorance but do you mean as the reason for not starting or because I might have screwed something up when replacing the sensor. I’m self taught and don’t have any experience with timing belts except knowing they need to be calibrated carefully. I barely removed the belt when replacing the sensor and marked the belt and the gear exactly where they were originally aligning. Since the plugs don’t fire the belt hasn’t moved since the engine stalled out. Only the serpentine belt has moved as far as I’m aware.... does that make sense. Sorry if I’m missing major info here.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I hope I'm not right but by the sounds of what you are describing it sounds like your timing belt broke. There is an inspection hole in the top of the timing cover you can look in there and see if your belt is good and if it turns while you are cranking. You said the belt hasn't moved since the engine stalled. It should move when you crank the engine.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope I'm not right but by the sounds of what you are describing it sounds like your timing belt broke. There is an inspection hole in the top of the timing cover you can look in there and see if your belt is good and if it turns while you are cranking. You said the belt hasn't moved since the engine stalled. It should move when you crank the engine.

Thanks BYUFAN,
I checked the belt as I still have one of the covers off. The timing belt appears intact but is not turning while I crank... Thoughts ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks BYUFAN,
I checked the belt as I still have one of the covers off. The timing belt appears intact but is not turning while I crank... Thoughts ?
Wow, the timing belt is not turning or moving when you crank? Either the belt broke at the bottom near the main pulley or the teeth are gone. Is there any tension on the belt?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks BYUFAN,
Yeah sorry man it's broke somewhere. It should definitely turn while cranking. It will need to be replaced and you will more than likely need a valve job as I'm sure they hit the heads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm see attached video. Belt seemed to have tension on it and really haven’t seen any tears. Here is a video , maybe I’m describing something wrong.. thanks for efforts thus far.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hmmm see attached video. Belt seemed to have tension on it and really haven’t seen any tears. Here is a video , maybe I’m describing something wrong.. thanks for efforts thus far.
Not seeing the video.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for help. Unfortunately you were right. The mechanic said that I needed a new engine....;(. Any ideas on how to disassemble myself and figure out what engine component needs to be fixed? They didn’t tell me exactly what lead to it and honestly don’t recall any weird noise or anything other than the oil pressure light coming on. I did keep cranking it after it stalled because I thought it was the battery but that’s it. I can’t afford $8300 for a used engine and really don’t want to get a different car. Any harm in just starting to disassemble fro top of engine down? I am a risk taker, and decent mechanic but don’t have an engine lift. Thoughts from those who know better?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks all for help. Unfortunately you were right. The mechanic said that I needed a new engine....;(. Any ideas on how to disassemble myself and figure out what engine component needs to be fixed? They didn’t tell me exactly what lead to it and honestly don’t recall any weird noise or anything other than the oil pressure light coming on. I did keep cranking it after it stalled because I thought it was the battery but that’s it. I can’t afford $8300 for a used engine and really don’t want to get a different car. Any harm in just starting to disassemble fro top of engine down? I am a risk taker, and decent mechanic but don’t have an engine lift. Thoughts from those who know better?
It's possible for an advanced DIYer to do this. I would recommend watching the timing belt replacement videos on YouTube. If you get the timing belt replaced and everything aligned you could do a engine cylinder leak test on each cylinder and see if one or all valves need to be replaced. More than likely you will need multiple valves replaced. You would then take both heads off and take them to a machine shop to get them fixed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I acquired my current 2009 honda pilot which had broken a timing belt caused by the Cam on Bank1 seizing due to low oil. I had hoped I could salvage the cylinder head but after taking it off, the cam had welded itself to the journals and was obviously no good. I ended up getting a low mileage junkyard engine for $1400, plus a new timing belt, water pump, tensioners, main and cam seals, probably another $500 in parts and took about a week to put it all together. There are numerous youtube videos on how to take out the engine, I went from the top after removing top radiator brace. Service manual is also readily available for download.

In your case I would take out the heads to assess the damage. You may be lucky and have only a couple valves bent. Also check the piston to see if it cracked it at all. My pilot only had 2 valves bent. You can then take the head to a machine shop and replace the valves, valve seals, the valve guides which also may have been bent. Then pressure test the head for leaks. If all is well, new head gasket, then just change the timing belt, water pump, tensionsers, and cam seals and be done with it.

I fear though you might have had the same situation as I did and the cam seizing thus breaking the belt. Only way to tell is to take it out and assess the damage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's possible for an advanced DIYer to do this. I would recommend watching the timing belt replacement videos on YouTube. If you get the timing belt replaced and everything aligned you could do a engine cylinder leak test on each cylinder and see if one or all valves need to be replaced. More than likely you will need multiple valves replaced. You would then take both heads off and take them to a machine shop to get them fixed.

Thanks BYUFAN. I think I do fall into the advanced DIYer category, as long as I have ample directions. I do have a 2009-2010 repair manual to assist and the wonderful you tube. I just want to be able to figure out what initiated the problem. Given the oil light came on and the oil level was fine and not leaking, could the issue be due to an oil pump problem?? I really don't know where to start and obviously want to fix as little as possible before my wife tells (makes) me throw in the towel (something I hate to do, ever:))
The timing belt was/is intact., I pulled the timing belt tensioner off by accident when investigating the timing belt (TB) as you suggested, but I read how to push back piston and re attached it. The mechanic mentioned that the TB was a bit loose but I think that that was simply due to me re adhereing the TB tensioner. Not sure if that info helps..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks BYUFAN. I think I do fall into the advanced DIYer category, as long as I have ample directions. I do have a 2009-2010 repair manual to assist and the wonderful you tube. I just want to be able to figure out what initiated the problem. Given the oil light came on and the oil level was fine and not leaking, could the issue be due to an oil pump problem?? I really don't know where to start and obviously want to fix as little as possible before my wife tells (makes) me throw in the towel (something I hate to do, ever:))
The timing belt was/is intact., I pulled the timing belt tensioner off by accident when investigating the timing belt (TB) as you suggested, but I read how to push back piston and re attached it. The mechanic mentioned that the TB was a bit loose but I think that that was simply due to me re adhereing the TB tensioner. Not sure if that info helps..
First you're going to have to press the tensioner and insert a pin to reset it. I use a press but maybe you can put it between something and a jack to press it and then install it. Second you mentioned previously the cams weren't rotating with the crankshaft? What happened with that. Its hard to diagnose your engine issue without all the details. Anyway once everything is back on, for an engine to start you basically need compression, spark, and fuel. I use a compression tester and leakdown tester, available at harbor freight. Then you can check spark and fuel later.

As for the oil pump its extremely rare for the pump to fail, its connected directly to the crank shaft and its a mechanical pump with gears that drive the oil. Of all the dozens of my honda's I've fixed, old and new, I've never had a failed oil pump. The light likely just came on as a result of the stall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts