Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently started experiencing some moderate vibration under heavy acceleration from a stop. If I accelerate slowly I don't feel anything abnormal. I found a good explanation of the Pilot's VTM-4 system:
(1) The first mode, called Acceleration Torque Control (ATC), works whenever the vehicle's throttle is depressed, even on dry pavement - a feature unique to the VTM-4 system. Sensors in the engine and transmission monitor vehicle speed and acceleration. The amount of torque applied, as directed by the system's ECU, is determined according to vehicle speed, the amount of acceleration and transmission status (gear setting). This benefits not only the Pilot's ability to gain traction from a standing start, before wheel slip occurs, but also its overall dynamic stability on both dry and slippery roads. Reducing the propulsive force carried by the front tires under acceleration reduced torque steer and cornering adhesion. Rear wheel torque rises smoothly from zero to a preset maximum in proportion to vehicle acceleration (both forward and reverse). During constant-speed driving, all power is driven to the front wheels for improved fuel efficiency.
This leads me to believe there's an issue with my rear axles, since torque is applied to the rear wheels during heavy acceleration and that's when I feel the vibration. It's only the rear differential that transfers power to the rear wheels, so the driveshaft is constantly spinning. The only difference during heavy acceleration is that the rear diff is applying torque to the rear wheels, leading me to think there's a problem with the rear axles. I'm curious to know if anyone around here has had similar issues and/or had their rear axles replaced. If so, how did you diagnose it?

I also hear a distinct clunk sound from somewhere in the rear end when making a full lock U-turn on asphalt, supporting my theory that there's an issue with my rear axles.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
While looking up replacement rear axles, I found that the right rear axle part has been updated with a new version. 42310-SZA-A03 is the newer part, 42310-SZA-A01 is the older part. I'm going to inspect my right rear axle to see if there's any obvious excessive play in the joints. Anyone know why this part was updated?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Might not be the same issue but I was having a clunk noise when making a full lock turn as you described and during a maintenance visit they noticed that one of the brackets for the rear sway bar was cracked. After replacement of both brackets, I no longer hear the clunk but I also have not tried to intentionally reproduced the sound either.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I recently started experiencing some moderate vibration under heavy acceleration from a stop. If I accelerate slowly I don't feel anything abnormal. I found a good explanation of the Pilot's VTM-4 system:

This leads me to believe there's an issue with my rear axles, since torque is applied to the rear wheels during heavy acceleration and that's when I feel the vibration. It's only the rear differential that transfers power to the rear wheels, so the driveshaft is constantly spinning. The only difference during heavy acceleration is that the rear diff is applying torque to the rear wheels, leading me to think there's a problem with the rear axles. I'm curious to know if anyone around here has had similar issues and/or had their rear axles replaced. If so, how did you diagnose it?

I also hear a distinct clunk sound from somewhere in the rear end when making a full lock U-turn on asphalt, supporting my theory that there's an issue with my rear axles.
How many miles since you changed the VTM4 fluid?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts