Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2010 voltage surge issues

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  mattbweaver 
#1 ·
A few months ago I noticed the headlights and interior dome lights were lightly flashing/flickering/surging while my car was running. I went to O'Reilly's to see a buddy and he tested everything and nothing came up on the tests; no alternator or battery issues. But clearly something isn't right.

Over the past few weeks, things have gotten worse. Lights are flashing worse, windows are surging as they go up/down, certain buttons on the radio/dash aren't working, the car is jumping a little. I went back to O'Reilly's and the volts were jumping from 13.1 up to 14.2 in the middle of the test. But yet nothing tested as a failure.

A few extra notes:
A year and a half ago the alternator died and we put a new one in.
The battery is working fine; new in 2019, tests are perfect, and lights don't flash/flicker when key is on (engine not running).

The guys thinks the issue is with the regulator, or this new alternator is acting up. Anyone have thoughts on this? Thanks for your help!

#2 ·
The voltage shouldn’t be bouncing around that much during the test.
Have you checked that all connections between the alternator and battery are good?
Have you checked that all connections in the engine compartment from battery negative to chassis & engine block to chassis are good?
Have you verified there is sufficient tension on the belt which drives the alternator?
After ruling those out I would suspect the regulator or alternator. I’m not sure if they are integrated in the alternator for your model Pilot.

#3 ·
The voltage shouldn’t be bouncing around that much during the test.
Have you checked that all connections between the alternator and battery are good?
Have you checked that all connections in the engine compartment from battery negative to chassis & engine block to chassis are good?
Have you verified there is sufficient tension on the belt which drives the alternator?
After ruling those out I would suspect the regulator or alternator. I’m not sure if they are integrated in the alternator for your model Pilot.
Thank you so much for this! I will look into all this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.