Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, tried searching a couple different ways and can't find what I'm looking for...

I changed the plugs in my wife's 2010 EX-L 4wd this weekend, and the middle rear spark plug well had oil in it. Shop gave a quote of $275 to do the valve cover gasket replacement, which I don't think is bad, but I think I can tackle this myself. However, I'm having a hard time finding any Pilot specific write ups for this job. Does anyone know of one? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
This guy did a job for a 2005 ..same engine just really minor differences if you know your engine from the 2010 you will see what I mean :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'll note that if yours is leaking at the front passenger side corner and down on to the alternator, the spool valve may be the culprit instead of the valve cover.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, raising the old thread.

Preparing to do the valve cover (aka cylinder head cover) gasket replacement on a 2011 and am not clear whether I should be draining the engine oil and coolant first. Service manual does not specifically state this is required in the removal steps but does go on to say "wait at least 30 minutes before filling engine with oil" in step 7 of the cover re-installation.
For coolant - same story, nothing in the removal section but the re-installation of the intake manifold does state "refill the radiator with engine coolant and bleed air from the cooling system..." in the last step of the re-installation.

At the same time, none of the Youtube videos mention the need to drain either oil or coolant.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
means wait 30 minutes before turning the engine over ... remember when the engine is OFF the oil is in the oil pan not in the block.

·
Registered
11 Posts
@Tahoefever, thanks for the response re: oil, I thought so, but still wanted to double-check.

If anyone else wondering like I was - yes, you will need to drain coolant before you do this job. When taking the intake manifold off, once you get to disconnecting "water bypass hoses" you will see why.

So, all hoses went back in and I'm waiting for Honda stealership to open on Monday to get me some Honda coolant to be able to do this job now...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got around to doing it without draining the coolant: just removed throttle body with the hoses still connected to it.
Just need to replace a $2 gasket (16176-RCA-A02).

Also most people fail to mention it, but for this job you will also need to replace manifold gaskets 17105-RCJ-A01 and 17146-R70-A01. These will run you ~$100 for the two.

For the valve cover gasket kits (includes cover gaskets, grommets and ignition coil seals) you would need 12030-R70-A00 (front) and 12050-R70-A00 (rear) and a Hondabond (I used 08718-0004).

Doing front cover is not too bad, rear cover is a b%&ch, requiring removal of the serpentine belt and a power steering pump and working in the back requires a bit of a contortionist act...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts