Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade my stereo to allow for android auto, but my question is on the little triangular section right above the stereo that shows my temp settings will i lose the availability to know what temp my car is set at if i replace the stereo

·
Registered
699 Posts
AFAIK, on 2009-2010, climate controls talk to that 'triangular' display directly, so yes, you can swap out the factory unit if you want to. Another option is Navtool. Just make double sure the unit you get does Android Auto.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AFAIK, on 2009-2010, climate controls talk to that 'triangular' display directly, so yes, you can swap out the factory unit if you want to. Another option is Navtool. Just make double sure the unit you get does Android Auto.
thanks, I just put a new stereo in my truck for my wife and now im a little jealous. i thought it was all one piece.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more question on this what harness should I get that retains the stock hfl options like built in mic and steering wheel controls? And is the single din plastic mount worth buying for the mounting brackets?

·
Registered
699 Posts
That plastic mount would indeed be handy, but you would need to trim it a fair bit. The panels on the sides of the head unit would need a bit of trimming as well.

Getting it all wired can be quite a trick. Does your touring have RES with premium (10 speaker) audio? Backup camera feeding to the screen at dash top?

In my Pilot, 2013 EX, I used Maestro SW unit. It needs to tap into wires on the main connector harness that standard Honda Metra harness actually does not have pins for - so you would have to use T-splicers behind the factory connector According to iDataLink website, for 2010 Pilot, Maestro is hooked into main connector wires 5 (brown) and 16(pink) in addition to ground and ACC. Also, it needs pin 2 from your Bluetooth module.
See my thread, I am indicating location of BT module on 2013, I suppose 2010 has it in a similar location. Other wires of note there are the factory BT microphone - you might want to run them to the head.

About rear camera: you can try experimenting by pulling the audio unit and see how top screen behaves - in 2013, it talks to rear camera and B-CAN directly, so it might still show rear camera when you go in reverse.

You will definitely lose the use of RES. I suggest you also pull the Nav dial at console bottom and replace it with larger storage pocket from EX

For AM/FM antenna, you need

If no premium audio, you will need to wire speaker outs from new head harness into the Metra harness, along with wires for power (GND, ACC, +B) , There is also the matter of subwooffer - it would need a small add-on amp.
If you have premium, You will need to wire the speaker wires on the Metra (white/gray/purple/green) into four RCA plugs, and connect them to preamp outs on the new head. Also need to make sure you hook up the Amp turn on wire. You will need to splice out the Sub wires (separate connector) to another RCA plug, going to sub preamp on the head.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you find a wiring harness that worked with your application or did you have to hard wire it? I have an 09 that I'm just trying to get a radio into. I don't care about the steering wheel controls or the RES. I just want something that works. My stock does not.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Ok I have the stereo in.... Kinda lol I have everything working except the sub and 2 rear speakers. What are the wire colors from the stock player
So how exactly was it wired? Did you do yourself or someone else did the work? Factory connector to RCAs going to the new head pre-amps? Not sure how it is on 2010, on 2013 the 24p connector next to main connector would have wires 12 and 24 (red and lt blue, thicker than others) which are sub pre-amp. Would need to hook those to an RCA going to sub preamp on new head.

For rear satellites, there are actually no dedicated preamp outputs on the OEM head. OEM amp is supposed to feed them off the main speaker inputs, but it might do so only at OEM head 'request'

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So how exactly was it wired? Did you do yourself or someone else did the work? Factory connector to RCAs going to the new head pre-amps? Not sure how it is on 2010, on 2013 the 24p connector next to main connector would have wires 12 and 24 (red and lt blue, thicker than others) which are sub pre-amp. Would need to hook those to an RCA going to sub preamp on new head.

For rear satellites, there are actually no dedicated preamp outputs on the OEM head. OEM amp is supposed to feed them off the main speaker inputs, but it might do so only at OEM head 'request'
I did it myself, I bought the maestro ho2 kit because it came with the speaker wires wired to rca's...and I also got the rr module to go with it, I plugged it in the front speakers work really good like they are supposed to, the rear speakers are way to low, I think I need to cut the rca's off and wire them like regular speakers, there are several plugs not used with the new kit so it's my current assumption that one of those plugs goes to the amp/xm box is that correct

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jeeze these things are a nightmare! I've been looking into these data connectors that are supposed to make it easy. But after $200 worth of harnesses, you end up retaining the steering controls. You still have to buy another harness to retain the RES which is stupid because then the head unit is dedicated to playing backyardigans and bubble guppies all of the time. AND you have to add an aftermarket amp for the sub. Forget it. I have the manual and wiring diagrams. I would have been done already with the time I have wasted researching a harness for this thing. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Cheers

·
Registered
699 Posts
I did it myself, I bought the maestro ho2 kit because it came with the speaker wires wired to rca's...and I also got the rr module to go with it, I plugged it in the front speakers work really good like they are supposed to, the rear speakers are way to low, I think I need to cut the rca's off and wire them like regular speakers, there are several plugs not used with the new kit so it's my current assumption that one of those plugs goes to the amp/xm box is that correct
You definitely don't want to feed the speaker level inputs from the new stereo into the amp. I am not familiar with that harness, HRN-RR-HO2? Definitely need to use the RCAs. I am pretty sure it is factory head that tells factory amp how much power to give to the rears. Without factory head you might need to compensate by adjusting the fade to rear on the new head. Some more advanced heads have sound calibration settngs. My best advice is to follow instructions from iDataLink to the letter on this one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
status update: i have 9 out of 10 of the stock speakers working with the stock amp and woofer it sounds great. I am going to try and figure out how to get the stereo video out to play on the screen in the back next. then for the cutting and customized cover plate, then i will post all of my pictures

·
Registered
55 Posts
status update: i have 9 out of 10 of the stock speakers working with the stock amp and woofer it sounds great. I am going to try and figure out how to get the stereo video out to play on the screen in the back next. then for the cutting and customized cover plate, then i will post all of my pictures
I have a 09 touring and was thinking about installing the alpine ilx-f309 but wasn't able to due to the HVAC display. What radio did you installed?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts