Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2010 Pilot Touring - Battery Terminal issue

11K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Johnjk 
#1 ·
So my battery recently died in my 2010 Honda Pilot Touring, and I got a new battery, but I learned that there’s an issue with my positive terminal. It won’t tighten up and stay in place. Is this something that I can replace myself? If so, does anyone have recommendations on the part and the process?

#2 ·
One option is to (disconnect the wire terminal from the battery and) use a pair of pliers to reform the shape of the terminal so that it fits tightly on the battery post.

Another option is to buy a battery post shim to put over the battery post and inside the wire terminal. Most auto parts stores should have then in stock.

#4 ·
or you can also use a nut that fits the bolt around the terminal loose... then replace the original nut behind the loose nut and it will tighten up accordingly.

#7 ·
Had my battery die this past weekend, 5yrs old so I was due to replace it. No issues with positive terminal but the negative would not tighten up. Had the guy at the auto parts store change it out for me and he was wanting to charge me for a new ground cable because the shim would not fit and without it the clamp would not hold. I ended up breaking the shim in two and using half to get a nice tight fit. Problem solved

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.