Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All, I know this thread has been popular over the years, so sorry if this has been answered before. Looking for advice on next steps on diagnosing/fixing a ticking sound that started last week.

My regular garage tried to diagnose and said they wouldn't be able to tell me anything unless they take off the valve cover ($700 to start). And they can't guarantee that valve tightening will solve the issue so it's a $700 gamble.

Timing belt was changed at 119k miles, no issues until just last week when the ticking sound started. Gets louder when pushing accelerator while in park (audio clip below). Has been burning oil a good bit, unfortunately I receive no warning lights whatsoever when low, so could have contributed to the current situation.

Should I take it to my local Honda dealership for their prognosis? Some fellow Piloteers say they have driven with clicking sounds for years, but this one sounds a bit troubling. Hope this is not the end of the road for our Pilot.

Thanks in advance,

punch1997

Clip
https://soundcloud.com/sadie-gladstone%2Fpilot-noise

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ticking might indicate the need for a valve adjustment. But that sounds like more than ticking to me. I am NOT a mechanic but if you have a spark plug wrench and a universal joint extension I'd check that the plugs are not loose. A loose plug allowing blowby makes a fair amount of noise. Did you mechanic offer or can he do a scan to check for misfires or timing problems? Yanking off the valve covers without checking out codes seems presumptuous to me.

You might want to look at the threads here on VCM problems to see if your symptoms match up with any others. Some owners have encountered oil consumption, lubrication, and piston ring problems due to the cylinder shutdown system. Certain of these issues can cause noises as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply Winston. We just took it to another garage and officially pronounced the death of our Pilot engine at 3 PM today. Estimating $5-6k to install a rebuilt engine or $7k to rebuild the existing. Mechanics are trustworthy and they said basically the rattling/ticking sound is coming from behind the oil pan deep in the engine. No issues w/the spark plugs or misfires.

What really stinks is that we may have been responsible for killing our car due to oil level neglect. We were religious about changing it regularly, but an older car uses more oil and checking the dipstick regularly was our fault. Why can't modern cars have low oil lights like cars I drove from the 1970s to remind us to check? I was told there is an oil light that comes on for the Pilot, but not until there is like 1 quart left (this never happened).

So now we have to bite the bullet and either 1) get bids on a rebuilt or used engine install or 2) trade-in on a new/used vehicle. Will keep y'all posted.

Fun times!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Thanks for the reply Winston. We just took it to another garage and officially pronounced the death of our Pilot engine at 3 PM today. Estimating $5-6k to install a rebuilt engine or $7k to rebuild the existing. Mechanics are trustworthy and they said basically the rattling/ticking sound is coming from behind the oil pan deep in the engine. No issues w/the spark plugs or misfires.

What really stinks is that we may have been responsible for killing our car due to oil level neglect. We were religious about changing it regularly, but an older car uses more oil and checking the dipstick regularly was our fault. Why can't modern cars have low oil lights like cars I drove from the 1970s to remind us to check? I was told there is an oil light that comes on for the Pilot, but not until there is like 1 quart left (this never happened).

So now we have to bite the bullet and either 1) get bids on a rebuilt or used engine install or 2) trade-in on a new/used vehicle. Will keep y'all posted.

Fun times!
That's unfortunate news. Yeah, the oil light only comes on when you lose pressure. By then, it might be too late. My daughter drives an oil burning Acura TL, with aluminum cylinder liners. I keep reminding her to stay on top of the oil level. Maybe she is keeping track. At least it's paid for.

If you decide to get a used engine, one way to shop is the junkyard database, Car-part.com. Their search engine will give you lots of choices from a nationwide database. Good luck with your Pilot.

·
Registered
179 Posts
car-part is a great tool and I have read somewhere on this forum that you can get an odyssey engine and its about half the price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts