Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have a 2010 Pilot with 166,000 miles. The dealer I use said the Spool Valve is starting to leak, a known issue with this Pilot. They showed me and it is leaking. Not a big deal but it hangs right over the Alternator.

Dealer said this replacement of the Spool Valve is a two-day replacement, I checked with another mechanic and he said the same thing. What is it that the engine has a cool down for replacement? Is there a valve or piston adjustment with this?

Anyone ever had this replaced?

Secondary question, oil is dripping onto the Alternator, best to replace the Alternator at the same time? Last thing I want is an electrical or battery issue after replacing the Spool Valve.

Thanks for your time and feedback

·
Registered
556 Posts
We have a 2010 with about 166k miles also. Coincidentally we just had our front spool valve replaced as it was leaking. There are a few threads on here about a DIY repair to replace the gasket in the spool valve which is only about $20. Here is one for example. There is also some replacement info in the threads on here.

Ours was replaced under the lifetime powertrain warranty with Fidelity as it is an internally lubricated part.. If you decide to get the whole spool valve replaced, I recall the labor was about 3 hours and the part was about $240. Total cost before warranty coverage was around $640. They were done with the car the same day about 5 hours after we dropped it off. No other adjustments needed.

If they want the car two days, it is probably so they can do the repair after it cools and as much oil drains down as possible. So day 1 they drive the car into the shop in the afternoon and let it sit overnight. Then on day 2 they do the replacement. So long as that isn't too inconvenient for you and they aren't charging more than 3-4 hours of labor then I wouldn't worry about the two day repair.

There is no real advantage in cost to replace the alternator at the same time. It's not like replacing the water pump during a timing belt service. They should at least put a rag over the alternator to avoid any oil leaking onto it during the spool valve replacement. If the alternator is still working fine and a charging test shows no concerns, then I would just leave it. They should be able to tell you how wet is looks from the leak.

Are you still on the original alternator in your 2010? Our alternator started to go bad about 10k miles ago so we replaced it. The charging system indicator came on and a charging system test showed it was bad. Perhaps the spool valve leak shortened the life, but after 9.5 years and over 158k miles, it was probably just its time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello

I have a 2010 Pilot with 166,000 miles. The dealer I use said the Spool Valve is starting to leak, a known issue with this Pilot. They showed me and it is leaking. Not a big deal but it hangs right over the Alternator.

Dealer said this replacement of the Spool Valve is a two-day replacement, I checked with another mechanic and he said the same thing. What is it that the engine has a cool down for replacement? Is there a valve or piston adjustment with this?

Anyone ever had this replaced?

Secondary question, oil is dripping onto the Alternator, best to replace the Alternator at the same time? Last thing I want is an electrical or battery issue after replacing the Spool Valve.

Thanks for your time and feedback
Lol 2 days?? It just means it'll take them 2 days to get to your car. Spool valve gasket change is sooooo easy, just check out youtube. It took me like 30mins to change mine out. Also unless you're getting some indication that your alternator needs changing, diode whine of death, charging issues, I would still keep it. The alternator can last to 300k miles and beyond. However if oil has been leaking on it, it might decrease the life. But run it till you need to change it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts