Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had service light came on with code A14 on our 2010 Honda Pilot EX. THis Pilot has little over 100k miles on it. I had regular oil service done. Basically I got A1 taken care of. After little bit of research I came to know that A4 means spark plug replacement, timing belt replacement and some valve adjustment.
I reached out to an auto shop that I get stuff done at on my car for quote. The guy quoted $600-700 for parts and labor for new spark plugs. And $1300 for timing belt and valve job.
This is in Austin, TX.
Are those fair prices for these services?
Started checking videos on spark plug replacement. It looks like 1hr to 1.5hr job. Doesn't look that hard for a DIY'er like me. The most complex auto repair I did was replacing AC relay behind glove box on our Kia soul.

Wondering if I should go with auto shop for spark plug job or do it myself. I haven't observed any issues with car in terms of idle performance, misfires or check engine light. This is mostly to do the service that Honda recommends.

I appreciate your guidance.

Thanks

·
Registered
Home of the 302k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,193 Posts
Yeah that’s a ridiculous price for spark plug replacement. The one thing to be cautious about is torquing them properly. Unless you trust yourself to make sure they are tight enough. A torque wrench can be purchased for cheap at Harbor Freight. It is important to buy a quality spark plug from a reputable seller. Cheap spark plugs can cause misfires. I’d use one of these x 6, only. No coils needed.
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Technology

5% Discount Code…

CCBA5E5BE2503D

If you vehicle is running fine and there is no engine oil in the spark plug tubes when replacing spark plugs, I’d not worry with a valve adjustment right now.
As far as the timing belt job. That needs to be done ASAP. $1300 is to high in my opinion for an independent mechanic. That’s about dealership price. Who ever does the job, I’d make sure all components are replaced. I’d ask for a Genuine Aisin timing belt water pump kit TKH-002. This also can be purchased on RockAuto. I’d also drain the radiator at the same time the water pump is replaced for a 2 gallon refresh of the coolant instead of just 1 gallon.
I’d also replace the serpentine belt if it hasn’t been. This must be removed for the timing belt job and no extra labor should be charged for installing it.

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
92 Posts
Wow $600+ for plugs? It is DIY, just a pain reaching the ones in the back but can be done. I think I was able to torque all except for maybe one in the back. As for timing belt I had mine done 5 yrs ago by Honda for under $900 out the door. I did have a coupon tho.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I’d not worry with a valve adjustment right now.
Why? For someone as maintenance minded as you, you'd think you wouldn't skip an important service. The benefits of smoother running, more power, better mileage, not burning a valve, and making camshafts last longer are worth getting it done. There's a reason Honda recommends it, because it's needed, and not only when you hear a loose valve like everyone seems to think.

·
Registered
14,193 Posts
Why? For someone as maintenance minded as you, you'd think you wouldn't skip an important service. The benefits of smoother running, more power, better mileage, not burning a valve, and making camshafts last longer are worth getting it done. There's a reason Honda recommends it, because it's needed, and not only when you hear a loose valve like everyone seems to think.
Never said it wasn’t a benefit. I’d wait if it’s running ok.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was reading somewhere that there is a service bulletin on 2009-11 pilots and a recall to replace spark plugs.
This PDF is the most relevant I could find: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/SB-10099310-9340.pdf.
Does this mean I can take my vehicle to Honda and get them replace some of the spark plugs. I bought my Pilot in middle of 2009 as part of cash for clunkers deal. It is not clear if the warranty extension applies to my vehicle.

Thanks to you all for great suggestions!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did get a quote from local Honda dealer. Here is the break down.

1) Spark plug replacement $428
Parts: $209 Labor: 175
2) Adjust valves $1001
Parts: $163 Labor: $763
3) Timing belt & Tensioner $1123
Parts: $385 Labor: $641
4) Drain and Refill Cooling(2 Gals) $193
Parts: $48 Labor: $129

I am asking them to include serpentine belt replacement as well from the comments above.
Anything else should I ask them for?

Thanks

·
Registered
14,193 Posts
I'd replace the PCV valve if using semi blend oil.
I’d replace the air filter if needed.
I’d clean the MAF sensor.
After all this, I’d disable the VCM.

·
Registered
14,193 Posts

2) Adjust valves $1001

I am asking them to include serpentine belt replacement as well from the comments above.

Thanks
Id fight a little harder to get those labor charges reduced. No way it should take as long as indicated by the high labor charges.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
206 Posts

2) Adjust valves $1001

Water pump since timing belt and tensioner are being replaced?

·
Registered
14,193 Posts
Water pump since timing belt and tensioner are being replaced?
Good catch!
Ya, since it’s a 2010, I’d make sure all the components are replaced under the timing covers.
  • Timing belt
  • Timing belt tensioner
  • Timing belt tensioner pulley
  • Idler pulley
  • Water pump

·
Registered
102 Posts

2) Adjust valves $1001

Thanks
why would you go to the dealer and pay 4x as much as a auto shop? this is a old car right? buy your own parts as well.. 209$ for spark plugs!! wow its a v6 not a v12 right? plugs and belt change should be 800$ adjust valves should be 400-500 you should try calling a few shops first, might be a week or two of waiting tho, i had to wait 2+ weeks at a local shop, of course the water pump is part of a timing belt kit.

also i would go with the oem spark plugs i have heard of anything other then oem causing picky problems..
Honda (12290-R9P-A01) ?? maybe im wrong about the oem part for spark plugs so double check it! (they are kinda pricy tho but not 209$)

·
Registered
14,193 Posts
What would be correct, what's the shops labor rate? How is the book time for each service?
Labor rates likely vary between dealerships. I’d simply ask if I were paying.
The written quote should say how much time they claim the job should take?

·
Registered
14,193 Posts
Then maybe you shouldn't make the statement that they are over charging without knowing that info.
It may be viewed that I implied they are overcharging. My statement was that the labor charges were high (a lot). No offense to you as a Honda tech. It has been noted by other Honda owners that they were given a break on the labor. Doesn’t hurt to ask.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got a quote from Mobile Mechanic who comes to our home and do these service repairs for $1300 (parts+labor). That sounds good. But not sure if Mobile setup is conducive to jobs like timing belt replacement, valve adjustment etc.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts