Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey new to the forum as a member but have browsed it on a number of occasions and found it very useful.

I have just removed and reinstalled a rebored (new pistons, rings etc) engine from a 2010 pilot with 360K KMs on it. This was quite the ordeal, also has recon'd head on the front and new cam for the rear. New cylinder head gaskets on both and torqued to service manual specs. Car started up straight away after sitting for 2 months, no smoke, no valve train noise (did all the clearances even on the recon'd head) but.... massive oil lead when running from looks like top of engine - see diagram. I have resigned myself to further ripping down and maybe pulling the front head but wondered if you more knowledgeable folks may have some ideas as to what this problem maybe. I have a couple of thoughts...

1) Rubber gasket for the Cam backplate was not replaced could this be it.
2) Torque may not be correct for the head and I need to tighten the bolts?

thanks

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
If it's around your dip stick, it could be the VVT solenoid assembly gasket or the Honda Bond between the spool and head.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spool valve would be annoying as this is a fully recon'd rebuilt head! I assumed they put it together properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also should add the oil is aggressively pouring out when engine is running, its not a slow leak or anything. cheers!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Spool valve would be annoying as this is a fully recon'd rebuilt head! I assumed they put it together properly.
If they reused the VVT gaskets, that could be your problem..., hopefully. I would try this first.
(Verify fitment).
Parts stores may can order these and get them faster.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Also note that oil running off down into your alternator can destroy it.
(You may know this)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciated NG, no oil is running onto alternator thankfully, just down the front corner of engine and dripping off sump and PS pump.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Please keep us informed of what your progress is on this. I would be very interested to know if oil could leak from somewhere else in that area. Ty

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick update and a very frustrating one at that!

After removing the head again, I decided to remove the cam sprocket and back plate to see this on the reconditioned cylinder head...

NO OIL SEAL on the camshaft!

This explains why the oil was pretty much gushing out. Luckily I had a camshaft seal to hand and fitted it.

I also noticed that there was almost on gasket compound on the rocker arm bracket here...

I also had to redo all the valve clearances on this head - so word of advice, if you buy anything reconditioned, don't assume it's been put back together properly - best to check before you fit.

I got this all installed again after another day in the garage and car started fine, although noticed light grey smoking for a fair bit, although I think it's subsiding - I think there is some run in with new rings to bed in so not too concerned at this point. We'll see....

cheers

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Quick update and a very frustrating one at that!

After removing the head again, I decided to remove the cam sprocket and back plate to see this on the reconditioned cylinder head...

View attachment 137596

NO OIL SEAL on the camshaft!

This explains why the oil was pretty much gushing out. Luckily I had a camshaft seal to hand and fitted it.

I also noticed that there was almost on gasket compound on the rocker arm bracket here...

View attachment 137597

I also had to redo all the valve clearances on this head - so word of advice, if you buy anything reconditioned, don't assume it's been put back together properly - best to check before you fit.

I got this all installed again after another day in the garage and car started fine, although noticed light grey smoking for a fair bit, although I think it's subsiding - I think there is some run in with new rings to bed in so not too concerned at this point. We'll see....

cheers
Wow! on the camshaft seal. A set up for failure.😬 Never would have thought that was missing. Yep, never assume. Sorry for your pain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Incidentally I bought this from Rockauto and sent them pictures in an email. I requested they reimburse me for my time but no joy, all I got was your can return the cylinder head via the supplier's warranty program. Bullcrap - they are not even interested in taking this up with the supplier. Wont be buying from there again.

Where do you get your Pilot parts from?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts