Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I recently changed my spark plugs and found the back three covered in oil which I believe is causing a miss fire and making the car run rough and burn oil because I went from 100% to 70% over a week. The plug and tube had oil. The front three were fine. So far everything I see tells me that its the valve cover gasket and tube seals. This is the first time I have ever encountered this and I want to know if this solution is correct or if it could be something else. Can anyone help please?

·
Registered
820 Posts
I think that you are correct, new valve cover gasket and tube seals needed. Are you due for a valve clearance adjustment? If you are going to pull the valve covers, might as well adjust the tappet clearances.
Rough running could be caused by oil in the plug tubes, but I'm not so sure about oil burning. Lots of folks have this problem due to the VCM system. My Pilot is pre-VCM, so I'm not that familiar with the system. I would encourage you to look at the VCM posts here on the forums.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I think that you are correct, new valve cover gasket and tube seals needed. Are you due for a valve clearance adjustment? If you are going to pull the valve covers, might as well adjust the tappet clearances.
What he said. It is a common issue when the valve cover tube seals harden. You need new valve cover tube seals, and therefore new valve cover gaskets as well. And if you pull the valve covers, the valve adjusters are right there.If I were paying for this service, I'd absolutely pay a small amount more to have the valve clearances checked and adjusted if necessary, by a competent mechanic or dealership.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Hey guys,
I recently changed my spark plugs and found the back three covered in oil which I believe is causing a miss fire and making the car run rough and burn oil because I went from 100% to 70% over a week. The plug and tube had oil. The front three were fine. So far everything I see tells me that its the valve cover gasket and tube seals. This is the first time I have ever encountered this and I want to know if this solution is correct or if it could be something else. Can anyone help please?
You'd be correct. If you are a DIY person and want to go it yourself, Rockauto has kits for this. Comes with all the seals you need. I found YouTube videos to walk you through it all. As others said, it's a great time to adjust your valves. It's also a great time to replace your VVT gaskets with everything out of the way. I like Fel-Pro. It's a personal preference. There are cheaper kits.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
If you do decide to DIY, don't do like me on my first attempt at spark plug tube seal replacement and install them upside down. Had to get another pack of seals. And that's after I checked twice, lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank guys for all the info,
And yes I am DIY and have been looking at vids on how to replace them. I have been working on my own cars since I first started driving and this is the first time I've ever had to deal with this problem. I need to look into the valve adjuster so that I can make sure I get this all done right. I really thank yall for the help because I have a road trip planned in a week and I need to take care of it this weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts