Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I know that the 4wd system in this vehicle is automatic unless you lock it using the VTM4 lock. However, the other day when I was driving in the ice, I hit the gas and it seemed like only the front tires were spinning. I am wondering if it is even working. The VSA Activation Indicator was flashing during this to indicate that the VSA system was active. Is there an indicator light that lights up letting you know the 4WD is active?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
The Pilot's VTM-4 system sends torque to the front and rear wheels from a stop, regardless of the VTM-4 lock button being engaged or not. So you should have had a rear wheel spinning as well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This is my understanding after reading a bunch of stuff over the years...

The VTM-4 system locks the rear diff so that each rear wheel gets 25% power. The fronts, however, are still open diff which means that when one of the front wheels has less traction than all the others it could potentially get 50%. The traction control system kicks in and clamps the brake on the spinning wheel which forces the front diff to redistribute to the other side but the rears are still locked. So, it's possible that your rears aren't getting enough torque to move the car on it's own while the fronts have very low traction and aren't adding anything to the effort.

The solution I've employed is to turn off the traction control/VSA which allows the engine to hit a much higher RPM which routes extra torque to the rear. After I get it out of the hole it was stuck in, I enable back again. This hasn't failed me yet.

Some footage from my camera that exemplifies this... vid link

Edit: I just re-read your post OP and this doesn't help you. That being said, if you have an understanding for how the system works then you know how to proceed and in your case I would NOT lock the rear diff as it could cause the rear to spin around and become your front :). Leave the VSA engaged so it can manage where the power needs to go. Keep in mind that we aren't driving Range Rovers so the time to response for the system is... a bit laggy so to speak. Your fronts will spin for a second before the traction control responds.

Reactions: The Todd
1 - 4 of 4 Posts