Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon every start up, there is a loud vibrating noise that comes from beneath the middle console between the front seats. I read that it could be a relay. However, the Honda Service Dept diagnosed as an A/C Temp Actuator Motor that needs to be replaced. This requires removal of the entire console and one of the front seats to access. I was up for it until being quoted $758. I asked if there was a way to pull a fuse or relay to deactivate this awful noise since 95% of the time its only the driver in the Pilot. I was not given a clear answer. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, is there a less expensive solution?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Does the noise go away if you turn off the rear climate system from the rear control panel? What if you turn the rear fan speed down?

I tried to look it up 'rear temp actuator' in the repair manual but don't see it mentioned. The only motors I see mentioned for the rear climate system are the rear mode control motor, rear air mix control motor and rear blower motor. There is also a rear power transistor and rear blower motor relay. Have them get you a part number. Not sure how they can quote work without knowing a part number. Regardless of the part, skimming the repair manual for those rear items I noted above, they all require the center console to be removed but no mention of a front seat. Not sure why the dealer recommended that.

Of all those listed components, the only motor that changes the air temp is the mix motor as it moves a damper that controls how much air goes over the rear heater core. However, those motors don't make noise and a sign of their failure is a faint scratching sound and the air not being heated (or heated too much).

For a loud noise, I would expect the blower motor since it creates the airflow (and noise). Also, the mode motor could create an noise issue if it is stuck in a position where the dampers are blocking airflow. Knowing how the rest of the rear system is operating would be helpful. What other symptoms do you have with the rear climate - can you still get hot or cold air out of the rear vents? Are you able to change the airflow direction (mode) from the rear console upper vents to the lower console vents near floor?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the noise go away if you turn off the rear climate system from the rear control panel? What if you turn the rear fan speed down?

I tried to look it up 'rear temp actuator' in the repair manual but don't see it mentioned. The only motors I see mentioned for the rear climate system are the rear mode control motor, rear air mix control motor and rear blower motor. There is also a rear power transistor and rear blower motor relay. Have them get you a part number. Not sure how they can quote work without knowing a part number. Regardless of the part, skimming the repair manual for those rear items I noted above, they all require the center console to be removed but no mention of a front seat. Not sure why the dealer recommended that.

Of all those listed components, the only motor that changes the air temp is the mix motor as it moves a damper that controls how much air goes over the rear heater core. However, those motors don't make noise and a sign of their failure is a faint scratching sound and the air not being heated (or heated too much).

For a loud noise, I would expect the blower motor since it creates the airflow (and noise). Also, the mode motor could create an noise issue if it is stuck in a position where the dampers are blocking airflow. Knowing how the rest of the rear system is operating would be helpful. What other symptoms do you have with the rear climate - can you still get hot or cold air out of the rear vents? Are you able to change the airflow direction (mode) from the rear console upper vents to the lower console vents near floor?
the noise is a loud rattle for about 20 seconds at each start up and stops by itself. I will try selecting the different modes to see if that changes anything. I had asked the dealer if a fuse or relay could be removed to stop this, but was told no.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the noise is a loud rattle for about 20 seconds at each start up and stops by itself. I will try selecting the different modes to see if that changes anything. I had asked the dealer if a fuse or relay could be removed to stop this, but was told no.
i just attempted to change mode, adjust temp, turn off fan from rear seat controls on back of console and the noise continued. The noise is originates directly below the cup holders and seems to be more on the driver side under console.

·
Registered
556 Posts
When you adjusted mode, temp, and fan speed did those adjustments work as expected (other than the noise issue)? Just trying to make sure all is functioning as expected except for noise.

I am not sure but it doesn't seem like a fuse or relay would cause a noisy rattle. Bad fuses or relays would either cut or cycle power in an unexpected manner. So it all operates when running and responds as it should to adjustments, then you probably have a noisy motor or some loose component in there.

I would be tempted to remove the center console and observe the components firsthand and see what might be making the noise. The repair manual can be downloaded from the sticky at the top of the forum if you want to try that yourself. Otherwise find a mechanic you trust as they could just start replacing parts that really are fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you adjusted mode, temp, and fan speed did those adjustments work as expected (other than the noise issue)? Just trying to make sure all is functioning as expected except for noise.

I am not sure but it doesn't seem like a fuse or relay would cause a noisy rattle. Bad fuses or relays would either cut or cycle power in an unexpected manner. So it all operates when running and responds as it should to adjustments, then you probably have a noisy motor or some loose component in there.

I would be tempted to remove the center console and observe the components firsthand and see what might be making the noise. The repair manual can be downloaded from the sticky at the top of the forum if you want to try that yourself. Otherwise find a mechanic you trust as they could just start replacing parts that really are fine.
When I adjusted the mode, temp, and fan speed they all functioned properly.
My thought behind the fuse was could I temporarily pull a fuse to stop the noise till I could diagnose the failing part. I may be brave enough to remove the console and observe. I just cannot justify handing over $800 to the dealer. I will call the service adviser in the morning to get the part number.

Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
556 Posts
There may be a fuse but you'd have to check the fuse guide. Can't recall if that is in the owners manual or not. Sometimes fuses cover more than one component in that same area.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Good thing you got the part number, that is the mix motor for the rear. The repair manual does not mention removing the seat to access it. I did find a couple of threads on here that mention that part and the issues those owners were having. Give these a read and see how it compares. You may want to post in those threads if you have questions for them. Someone mentions removing the driver seat to fix it but another person who fixed it did not mention that. I suppose it would be easier to access all those components without the seat in the way, but perhaps it can be done with removing it.

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/clicking-noise-from-under-center-console.140633/

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/noise-under-console-upon-start-up.82377/#post-1570877

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info, im about to embark on this repair myself. How long did it take you? Did you take any photos? Do you have to remove other parts to access this part?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue. Some suggested adjusting controls and temps and turning on and off.It looks like it fixed it temporarily. We’ll see how it goes in the near future.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts