Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've got a 2010 Honda Pilot who's battery keeps dying every few weeks. I've done the following:
- checked for parasitics. I see ~20mA when car is off
- measured voltage of alternator ~14V
- replaced alternator hoping it as a diode problem.

When it dies, it starts the car just fine, but leaves my wife stranded somewhere. I'm going to replace the whole battery now, but I don't know what else to check. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Probably the battery. Take it to an auto parts store and ask them to load test the battery. If the battery is the original one you got your money’s worth out of it. Four years give or take seems to be typical battery life.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Hi everyone. I've got a 2010 Honda Pilot who's battery keeps dying every few weeks. I've done the following:
- checked for parasitics. I see ~20mA when car is off
- measured voltage of alternator ~14V
- replaced alternator hoping it as a diode problem.
When it dies, it starts the car just fine, but leaves my wife stranded somewhere. I'm going to replace the whole battery now, but I don't know what else to check. Any ideas?
What is the battery voltage when the car is off?
How much does it drop if you turn on the headlights?

YouTube

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've had a number of battery/alternator issues on my car. I've replaced the alternator twice already. The first failure wasn't an electrical issue but the bearing failed. I replaced it with a cheap Chinese remanufactured one from a local auto parts store because I couldn't wait. When that failed I bought a Denso remanufactured unit (remanufactured in the USA) which is working fine so far. The Chinese alternator had a lifetime warranty so I exchanged it for a new one instead of sending it back for the core fee. I'm keeping that as a spare and taking it if I do any long road trips.

I think I'm on my fourth battery in 8 years of ownership. I replaced my original battery after 5 years as preventative maintenance and then replaced it two more times at the same time my alternator failed (Costco warranty FTW!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts