Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Googled what I could on this issue but not getting too far. Removed hatch panel and checked all the connections - unplugged and plugged back in - no signs of corrosion. Mirror connections seem good. I can manage w/o the back up camera but every time I shift into reverse the blue screen comes up and blocks my mirror view so I have to continuously manually turn the camera off. Before I invest in the $300+ camera assembly which I'm not 100% certain is the problem...does anyone have a suggestion or the same issue? From what I read - if the screen is blue then it's not the mirror but the signal from the mirror to the camera. Figured I'd give the Piloteers Forum a shot before spending the $$$. Thank you.

·
Registered
474 Posts
On the service manual download link you can find on this forum, it is page 22-393 (overall page 2429 in the pdf)
Rearview camera connector pins (at the camera)
2 - shield (grey)
3 - video signal (black)
4 - video signal ground (green)
5 - (GND) power ground (red)
6 - (VCC) camera power. (white)

Connector at the mirror: (should be same colors)
1 - video signal
2 -video ground
3 - VCC
5 (Yellow) ACC - +12V when ignition on
6 (Orange) REV +12V when in reverse.
7 - shield
8 - GND
12 - GND (black) - to a ground point.

These are pretty much point -to-point. I would first check the continuity on all the camera-mirror wires.
I.e.:
Unplug both connectors, short 5 & 6 at camera, check for continuity between 3 and 8 at mirror. Then short 2&3 at camera, test 1&2 at mirror.
If wire continuity is good, check if camera is getting power:
With car running and rearview camera unplugged, check voltage between 5 and 6 at camera. Shift into reverse, check voltage between 5 and 6 again - likely will need helper for this.
If there is voltage at camera (8 to 12V) when in reverse, most likely the camera is dead.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As follow up from my issue, the problem was the camera. I checked the connections and everything was OK. I purchased a $20 backup camera that looked similar. It had a cable coming out of the camera and at the end of the cable was an RCA connection for video (video signal and video ground), and a barrel connection for power (VCC and GND). I cut off the old camera in the license plate trim, and cut off the connectors on the new camera. I then matched the four wires on the camera to the four wires on the camera harness (note that for my vehicle the colors on the actual camera harness is different from what is stated above). After connecting them I tested it and it worked. The last step was to solder and heat shrink the connections and reassemble.

After getting it back together, I noticed two things. The camera, while oriented correctly was providing a mirror image. This is easily corrected by cutting the "mirror" wire in the new camera cable. The second issue though is that the picture appears to be cropped. The backup camera is supposed to overlay guide lines for parking (this is a fixed overlay), but I didn't see those lines and the field of view seemed really tight. My hypothesis right now is that the resolution of the camera is higher than what the rear-view mirror display is capable of and instead of scaling the image, it is just cropping it.

Anyone have an idea of the specifications of the OEM camera/display or a camera that would work?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts