Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Honda Pilot. During the last year, I've noticed when I drive on the highway longer than about 2 hours, the AC stops cooling and the blower stops working. Strangely enough, the radio controls also stop working when then happens. I've taken it to the dealer (after I returned home from my trip) and they couldn't find anything wrong. (Everything was working again by then). It does fine on short drives.
Currently, my radio is out again for no reason. It makes me wonder if the AC is about to go out again.
Any suggestions?
(And I'm a mechanically challenged female... so tell it to me like a 6 year old please :) )

·
Registered
556 Posts
Let's talk about the radio and climate control separately at first before we assume they have something in common.

Radio - which controls are not working, the ones on the dash console or the ones on the steering wheel or both not working at the same time? There is a known issue with the dash console controls not working but you can still use the steering controls. That is usually fixed by pushing in on the plastic surrounding the dash controls as the connector can get loose.

Blower - you mention the AC stops cooling and the blower stops working. Do you still hear the blower but no air is coming out? Or does the blower go completely silent? When did it start working again - after you parked for a while or it just started working during the same drive?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let's talk about the radio and climate control separately at first before we assume they have something in common.

Radio - which controls are not working, the ones on the dash console or the ones on the steering wheel or both not working at the same time? There is a known issue with the dash console controls not working but you can still use the steering controls. That is usually fixed by pushing in on the plastic surrounding the dash controls as the connector can get loose.

Blower - you mention the AC stops cooling and the blower stops working. Do you still hear the blower but no air is coming out? Or does the blower go completely silent? When did it start working again - after you parked for a while or it just started working during the same drive?
Radio- The controls on the dash are not working (or they weren't this morning. They are magically working at the moment, but I'm sure that will change again soon). The controls on the steering wheel work IF the radio was on when the dash controls stopped working. If not, then there is no way to turn the radio on. This happens randomly and fairly often. Dealer couldn't find anything loose or wrong when I have taken it in.

Blower- When it stops, I don't hear it blowing. It goes completely silent. It doesn't start working again until I have parked it for awhile. For instance, I drove 7 hours to Indiana. The AC went out around hour 3. It stayed out the remainder of the drive there. I parked it in the hotel overnight. For the next 3 days, I did short - around town trips. No problem. AC was working fine. Then on the drive home, same thing happened. AC/blower stopped around hour 4. Once home and parked overnight, it started working again. For the most part, it works fine as long as I'm not driving it at high speeds for any length of time. The freon level is good.

They are probably not related at all. I just happened to notice that they did both happen at the same time. However, the radio will act up independent of the blower.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Radio- The controls on the dash are not working (or they weren't this morning. They are magically working at the moment, but I'm sure that will change again soon). The controls on the steering wheel work IF the radio was on when the dash controls stopped working. If not, then there is no way to turn the radio on. This happens randomly and fairly often. Dealer couldn't find anything loose or wrong when I have taken it in.
Yup, that sounds like the dash console button issue. Steering controls will only work when radio is on. Basically the connection can get loose between the panel buttons and the radio. You could follow instructions like in this thread and try to reseat the connection. https://www.piloteers.org/threads/radio-console-buttons-sometimes-dont-work.88626/#post-907258

Or you can do what we've had to do a few times and just push in (use some force but don't break anything) on the clear plastic in various spots around the radio controls and it should come back on. Sometimes just restarting the car makes it go away.

Blower- When it stops, I don't hear it blowing. It goes completely silent. It doesn't start working again until I have parked it for awhile. For instance, I drove 7 hours to Indiana. The AC went out around hour 3. It stayed out the remainder of the drive there. I parked it in the hotel overnight. For the next 3 days, I did short - around town trips. No problem. AC was working fine. Then on the drive home, same thing happened. AC/blower stopped around hour 4. Once home and parked overnight, it started working again. For the most part, it works fine as long as I'm not driving it at high speeds for any length of time. The freon level is good.
It is always hard to diagnose an intermittent AC issue especially when it is working fine now. If/when the blower stops working, I would take note of the fan speed and then turn the speed all the way up and then down to see if there is a change in sound and/or airflow. Something could be blocking the airflow from coming out the vent likes a damper or dirty/icy coil and the blower is running but air isn't getting through. I would also change the mode (direction of airflow) and cycle through all the positions to see if that changes anything. Lastly, I would try turning off the AC while leaving the fan on and see if airflow returns after a few minutes. And if you really want to know if your blower is running you can drop down the glovebox as it hides just below the cabin air filter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts