Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my rims on Sat. I went with 20 inch brushed metal w/ polished lip. Im not a big fan of chrome. Went with 20's so that I could put a decent sized tire on the Pilot. I go camping a lot and wanted something that could take the punishment without having to worry about breaking or damaging anything.

If anyone knows how to resize the pics to fit the page please do so. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Looks really good. very clean. How much did they run ya? What kind of tires did you go with? Notice a difference in ride quality/ noise?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I paid $1550 for the rims and tires. I also had the calipers painted black so that they do not stand out too much. I went with Nexen Roadian HP 255/50's because they have a better ride than other standard tires. The ride is very soft and I have not noticed any difference in noise. A friend of mine has the same tire on a different rim. Having driven his SUV is the only reason why I went ahead and got the tires. They are a good bang for the buck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i'm jealous! been shopping for wheels and funny thing is i'm leaning toward truck wheels than suv ones and having seen how low profile are yours i might get 18's. the wheels i'm planning to get are available in 18 and 20...congrats! now my turn to beg my wife allow me to get mine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My tires are not low profile tires. They have some meat to them. I go camping a lot and needed something that would give me a decent grip when driving off road. I dont climb rocks or anything like that. lol. Had I gone with low pro's I would have gone with 22" rims. The fender of the Pilot can easily accommodate 22's or 24's. Two other reasons why I didnt go with low pro's is that the ride is definitely harder with such thin tires and they do not last too long. Most low pro's last between 30 and 40 thousand miles. Many dont last that long because of city driving and such.

As far as the wife is concerned...I simply came home and told her that I purchased the rims and that she had to come with me to the shop so that they can install them. She did not fuss at all.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Still don't understand why anyone would spend (a lot) of money on new wheels and then install crap tires. According to the latest (2009) Tire Brand Study by Tire Review, Nexen's product quality was rated the absolute worst.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would agree with you if I were putting the tires on a sports car or using them for racing. But I am not doing either of those things. The bad reviews you hear about Nexen tires are from people that need high performance tires but opt to get lower quality ones. This is mainly true for the low profile tires that they use.

I'm pretty happy so far with the tires that I got. They serve the purpose of a passanger vehicle. It was a package deal and being that I had first hand experience driving an SUV with the same tires I was confident about my purchase.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i'm jealous! been shopping for wheels and funny thing is i'm leaning toward truck wheels than suv ones and having seen how low profile are yours i might get 18's. the wheels i'm planning to get are available in 18 and 20...congrats! now my turn to beg my wife allow me to get mine.
If you're going to upgrade, i recommend going 20"s. There is really no difference in going from 17-18". If you are paying that much money, might as well make it noticeable, and give you a reason to upgrade.

I wouldn't consider those low profile's either.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you're going to upgrade, i recommend going 20"s. There is really no difference in going from 17-18". If you are paying that much money, might as well make it noticeable, and give you a reason to upgrade.

I wouldn't consider those low profile's either.
I agree. 17 and 18 inch rims are not that different or noticeable. 20's should be the minimum.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Good old Lodi. :) Looks great. Did you sell your old wheels as well or your holding on to them for winter use?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have them. Not sure what I am going to do with them.
I am thinking those 20's won't be that good in the winter here in NJ.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im not sure what you are referring to. The rims or the tires? I don't think the rims have anything to do with the weather.

So far the tires held up really well in yesterday's rain we had. Twice I had to slam on my brakes, once because of an A-hole that cut me off and once because I wasn't paying attention (I guess that makes me an A-hole too lol). So on slippery, wet surfaces everything was fine. Now, on the other hand, I have no idea how they will do on ice and snow.

I'll keep the stock tires and ride out the first winter on the new wheels. I'll make a decision on what to do after I see how they hold up.

·
Registered
345 Posts
20's rims don't have that many options of all weather/Winter tires are that big of a rim is usually for sport or looks.

17's have much more choices of winter tires like Blizzaks.

PLus the bigger the rim usually the bigger footprint you have. During the winter you want a smaller footprint.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those tires are definitely much thinner than the ones that I have. The tire shop manager told me that you cannot go with 22's and get a thread thick enough to be classified as all weather for rain and snow.

·
Registered
157 Posts
They are definitely thinner than yours, but still not in low profile category. I would not do 22"s, but there is still enough meat on those tires for comfortable travel. I could see trouble for them up north in the winter, but for the rest of us it would be all good. They are looking good though Leoskee.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The guy who did the rims told me that if he was down in Fl or Ca he would go with 24's due to the large wheel well that the Pilot has. But since I am in the North E. I do not have the luxury of warm temps without snow all year long.

Maybe I will move down to Miami. Im sure I can find a cheap place with the recession and all. lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts