Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve read similar posts but nothing with quite this problem. We’re only getting air out of the vents, no defrost or floor. Hot/cold mixture works fine. Blower speeds up to high when defrost is selected. I checked the damper control motor and it works - at least most of the time. I will change it if I can solve the other puzzle: With the motor out I can manually move the damper arm. It moves freely and I think I hear the door moving. But that doesn’t change the air flow direction either. Is there another damper somewhere or could something be broken “inside”? Can I get in there without dismantling the dash? Also, it’s an intermittent issue, which might be a motor problem but I’d think if I move the damper arm I’d see a change. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
438 Posts
IIRC their are two damper arms (upper black arm is for defrost and lower white arm is for floor) at either end of the range of movement of the mode control arm (white arm attached to mode motor that cycles through 5 positions and moves damper arms as it goes) that open/close as it moves from one end to the other. The steps in between change the position of the dampers and create the various modes.

Are you sure you are looking at the right motor? The mix motors (which move between two positions) look similar to the mode motor. If you have the mode motor off then you should be able to operate the black arm for defrost to check airflow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was definitely looking at the wrong thing, dang it. I knew it was too easy. I was looking at the air mix motor - over by the gas pedal. I found the service manual and the beast I want (mode control motor) is on the passenger side, all up in there. The manual makes it sound so simple, but step 1 will probably take hours, knowing me. Updates to follow. I guess I need to disconnect the battery so I won’t accidentally blow an airbag?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After some dashboard surgery today, it’s WORKING! 😁 I wish I could take credit, but I have no idea what happened. I opened up the dash, operated the switches and verified the motor did not move. I removed the motor, tried again and it worked. I assume the linkage was in a bind or something. Put everything back together and it’s still working. 🤞 About a 4 hour evolution for one who didn’t know what he was doing. There are some very difficult screws to reach. Thanks for the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts