Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I really need some help here. My Honda is having a problem staying on. When I turn the key it Cranks over and starts but then dies out after starting. I have even pumped the gas pedal in order to keep it going after starting but it does no good. I'm hoping its something small like a Fuel relay or something instead of a bigger problem.
Any suggestions????

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Have you check the oil level?
Do you have a Check Engine Light on?
Milage?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the engine light is on and I just changed the oil right before this happened. I also checked the plugs which were good and i just gave them a cleaning

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Getting the codes would really be helpful. Do you have access to a scanner?
Have you replaced the air filter?
Milage?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, I have replaced the air filter and no I don't have a scanner.

Yesterday i did an oil change and replaced the air filter then i took it for a test drive which ran fine. I parked it and an hour later I started the car and then it died out immediately after several attempts I checked the spark plugs which had some oil on them so i cleaned them up and replaced the valve cover gasket and spark plug rings. then i tried it again. it started after a couple of trys but then started dieing again. I pumped the gas when i started but it wouldnt stay on.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
yes, I have replaced the air filter and no I don't have a scanner.

Yesterday i did an oil change and replaced the air filter then i took it for a test drive which ran fine. I parked it and an hour later I started the car and then it died out immediately after several attempts I checked the spark plugs which had some oil on them so i cleaned them up and replaced the valve cover gasket and spark plug rings. then i tried it again. it started after a couple of trys but then started dieing again. I pumped the gas when i started but it wouldnt stay on.
No problems prior to changing oil/filter and air filter?

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
a little sluggish to pick up speed
I'd just confirm your oil level again.
Have you replaced or cleaned your mass airflow sensor (MAF). To clean, use CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner and with few short burst, spray directly into the electrodes. Let dry thoroughly. Re-install. You also might look closely at your plastic air intake. Make sure it's on tight and properly and no cracks. These are simple maintenance things you can perform in hopes of improving the situation until you can get the codes read. If you can get it to an AutoZone (or possibly others), they with plug in a scanner and get your Check Engine codes for free.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So my friend lent me a scanner and its telling code PO302, PO305, PO300. Ignition coil and spark plugs miss firing. Could this cause the problem I'm having?

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Random cylinder misfires is the overall concern.
  1. I would inspect the plastic intake hose closely for cracks. Because of age, this can become cracked in the baffles of the hose when replacing the air filter due to handing. Replace if needed.
  2. Clean the (MAF) Mass Airflow sensor. The sensor is held in by 2 small phillips head screws on top of the intake hose. I'd buy a can of CRC Electronic Cleaner (at Wal-Mart) or MAF Cleaner. Remove the sensor and with a few short burst, spray directly into the electrodes. Let dry thoroughly. Reinstall.
  3. I'd disable the VCM. I use S-VCM.
  4. Use a top tier fuel, 87 octane only.
If this doesn't solve your misfires, then you will have to go into more difficult fixes.

Reactions: Sha93

·
Registered
258 Posts
So my friend lent me a scanner and its telling code PO302, PO305, PO300. Ignition coil and spark plugs miss firing. Could this cause the problem I'm having?
Spark Plug fouling is pretty common due to vcm. I would take those plugs out and take a look I bet they will be fouled. Replace them and I bet you will be good to go. Look into disabling the VCM.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts