Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
Last year my power steering fluid looked on the low side. So I filled to the high mark.
This year when I was under the vehicle doing an oil change I noticed both the rack bellows were wet looking.
But the power steering fluid isnt low since last year?
Can the rack leak this slowly that it isnt noticeable or can it one time leak and then stop?
Or since the compliance bushings need replacement is somehow the rack bellows being wet related to this?
If or when the time comes to change the rack... what is everyones take on using Honda OEM which is about $1000 CDN and doesnt include any of the bellows etc vs using the BBB/Vision OE or Cardone or AC Delco reman ones which are about $350 to $550 CDN but include the other parts?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
135 Posts
When I recently changed the inner tie rods on my '04 pilot, there was about 1/8 of a cup of power steering fluid in the boots on both sides. I had periodically changed my power steering fluid for the life of the car, so i wouldn't have notice a drop in level in the reservoir. I think there is some slight seepage past the seals over time. Probably mostly from when the steering was hard over parking lot manuevers.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hi Everyone,
Last year my power steering fluid looked on the low side. So I filled to the high mark.
This year when I was under the vehicle doing an oil change I noticed both the rack bellows were wet looking.
But the power steering fluid isnt low since last year?
Can the rack leak this slowly that it isnt noticeable or can it one time leak and then stop?
Or since the compliance bushings need replacement is somehow the rack bellows being wet related to this?
If or when the time comes to change the rack... what is everyones take on using Honda OEM which is about $1000 CDN and doesnt include any of the bellows etc vs using the BBB/Vision OE or Cardone or AC Delco reman ones which are about $350 to $550 CDN but include the other parts?
Thanks in advance.
If the fluid level in the reservoir is staying good, then the leak is slow. Yes, you can have a slow leak and just live with it. Yes, if you do some high stress turns in a parking lot, you can cause a momentary leak past the seals. If the fluid level isn't going down, and everything is working ok, then just keep an eye on it. If you need to top up fluid all the time, then you should find the leak and fix it.

My opinion on parts: Good quality remanufactured parts should give long service. The cost savings are significant, and the parts usually have good warranties. I like to check out the different parts available on Rock Auto. I would probably buy a Cardone remanufactured rack before I bought a no-name Chinese knock off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the fluid level in the reservoir is staying good, then the leak is slow. Yes, you can have a slow leak and just live with it. Yes, if you do some high stress turns in a parking lot, you can cause a momentary leak past the seals. If the fluid level isn't going down, and everything is working ok, then just keep an eye on it. If you need to top up fluid all the time, then you should find the leak and fix it.

My opinion on parts: Good quality remanufactured parts should give long service. The cost savings are significant, and the parts usually have good warranties. I like to check out the different parts available on Rock Auto. I would probably buy a Cardone remanufactured rack before I bought a no-name Chinese knock off.
Has anybody replaced the rack on a 2010 pilot or this generation of pilots ?
Do you need to lower the sub frame to take out the rack and slide in a new one ? I know older pilots you have to lower it .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anybody replaced the rack on a 2010 pilot or this generation of pilots ?
Do you need to lower the sub frame to take out the rack and slide in a new one ? I know older pilots you have to lower it .
So ... anybody know if the sub frame has to be lowered in this generation of pilots to replace the rack and pinion ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts