Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I bought 2010 honda pilot EXL 4WD is it good off road and what about camper trailer how much I can tow with my pilot.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,106 Posts
The Pilot should handle ez-med dirt road trails to a camp site. Limitations would be ground clearance and lack of protection (skid plates). Best not to exceed max tow ratings (est 4500) especially off pavement. Tires, tow package and regular maintenance will be key. The AWD will auto engage and the VTM-4 lock button allows you to manually lock the rear diff for added traction up to 18 mph. Just know your limitations as well as the med SUV

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Did the 2010 come with the auxiliary transmission cooler? If so, then the AWD model is rated for 4500 lbs. If you decide to tow a camper that weighs much over 1500 lbs, it should have electric trailer brakes installed, and you will need a brake controller. If you decide to get close to maximum towing capacity, Honda recommends using premium fuel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your information,about the transmission cooler I don't know how can I find out about the transmission cooler please guide me?

·
Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
4,567 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

From the transmission, follow the lines to the lower portion of the radiator. If both lines connect directly between the tranny and radiator you don't have the cooler. If one radiator line goes to a secondary cooler, then you have the aux cooler.

No Cooler: Tranny (out) -> Radiator (In) -> Radiator (Out) -> Tranny (In)
With Cooler: Tranny (out) -> Radiator (In) -> Radiator (Out) -> Aux Cooler (In) -> Aux Cooler (Out) -> Tranny (In)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Brother I deeply appreciate your help means a lot I will check my honda is 2010 pilot exl it will arrive day after tomorrow

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just an fyi my wife misread directions to a National Park in AZ. We ended up in a severe off road situation - damn near crapped myself as we were going up over huge boulders. Pilot did extremely well (2011). I was shocked. I thought for sure something was going to break on the suspension. Nope.

·
Super Moderator
4,106 Posts
Just an fyi my wife misread directions to a National Park in AZ. We ended up in a severe off road situation - damn near crapped myself as we were going up over huge boulders. Pilot did extremely well (2011). I was shocked. I thought for sure something was going to break on the suspension. Nope.
Wife’s oops made that trip memorable. Taking it slow and picking an ez line without hitting the vulnerable bits underneath will get you back home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Brother what kind of tire are you using off-road?
I am not using my polite off-road alot but may be some time with my family on trail sometime kindly advise?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my honda pilot has 154000 km and I don't know if the previous owner change the timing belt or not, is there in way that I can find out that the belt is good or bad and I am not in touch with previous owner.i was told that replacement of timing belt will be expensive.
Kindly advise.
Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all your help.
If I use after market timing belt kit brand name Continental is a good idea?that brand was recommended by local mechanic In halifax.cuz honda parts are very expensive.

·
Super Moderator
4,106 Posts
If I use after market timing belt kit brand name Continental is a good idea?that brand was recommended by local mechanic In halifax.cuz honda parts are very expensive.
OEM timing belt kit / Aisin are worth the extra expense as the labor stays the same

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The mechanic is install the timing belt kit brand name Aisin how reliable are Aisin products and how many KM or Miles the Aisin timing belt last.
Thanks again for all your help

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi,
I have changed the timing belt Kit BRAND NAME (AISIN) on my honda pilot 2010 EXL,
Any one familiar with this brand, is it durable and how many miles or KM it will last.
Please let me know
And again I deeply appreciate you guys to Giving me such useful information.
Stay safe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts