Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,
My compliance bushings are shortly needing replacement. I can see oil has started or all leaked out.
Mevotech MS60466/ MS60467 about $80CDN for the pair.
Beck Arnley 1018182/ 1018183 about $230 CDN for the pair.
Honda OEM about $530CDN for the pair.
Are the Mevotech ones good enough? My current Honda OEM ones I got 9 years 90,000kms out of them.
Roughly how long should the Mevotech ones last?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Are you pressing them out and in yourself or having the shop do it? Otherwise you might be better off replacing the whole control arm.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If your compliance bushings are really shot at 90k kms, you've probably been driving on some pretty rough stuff. I agree with can - do the complete lower control arms, get new bushings and ball joints as part of the deal, and be done with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can - watching YouTube video of compliance bushing replacement...you take control arm off and unbolt the compliance bushing off it . Re bolt the new bushing onto control arm and reinstall.
Tacomo'03Pilot - the Honda mechanic I see who does backyard work on the side only recommended the bushing be changed ... he didn't mention the ball joint or control arm .
Seems like an easy repair and don't mind doing again but are the mevotech ones any good ?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Seems like an easy repair and don't mind doing again but are the mevotech ones any good ?
Short answer: No personal experience with Mevotech, so my opinion is just more internet noise without data behind it.

Long answer: When I was shopping for replacement control arms, Mevotech was one of several brands that all seemed to look very similar to each other. I concluded (perhaps unfairly) that there's a factory in China pumping parts out for anyone that wants to have a brand of auto products. I was also skeptical of the low price - there's only so much cost you can take out of load-bearing auto parts before quality deteriorates. I chose ProForged, but I don't think they make a part for your year.

If you plan to keep the car more than a couple of years and you're paying someone else to do the work, I think buying the best part you can afford that isn't stupidly expensive (like Honda control arms for first-gen Pilots) is the lowest-cost option. The labor and the downtime always cost more than the parts.

If you're planning to sell the car in a year or so, anything will work, so don't worry about it.

Same rationale for doing the ball joints at the same time. They're also wear parts, located 12" away from your compliance bushings, taking the same hits. If one is shot, the other is at least worn. If you're planning to keep the car, I think doing the job once is the cheapest way to accomplish that.

But - I'm not looking at the car, I'm not your mechanic, and I analyze this stuff based on my personal preferences. As with so many things in the automotive world, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I installed Mevotech lower front control arm assemblies three years ago as my compliance bushings were toast. It's about the same effort to just replace the compliance bushings alone and then you have the same old ball joint and front bushing. Although the original ball joint did seem pretty firm on the old arm.

My arms were made in Taiwan and appeared as good quality to OEM - general appearance, casting, weight, ball joint tension, etc. They were works of aluminum art.

They went in without a hitch and I have many thousands of miles on them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts