Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping someone can help me with a frustrating issue i am having with my Honda. I have a 2010 Touring and my wife loves the vehicle it is perfect for our family. It has just over 110,000km on it so low kilometers for the year and over the last 4 years we have been battling an issue that the dealer cannot seem to fix.

what happens is the engine stutters when in Eco mode and then the CEL flashes but the vehicle doesn't seem to run to bad, the first time this happened to me i turned the vehicle off right away to not do any damage and had the vehicle taken to the dealer when they turned it on the car ran great and no check engine light.

They scanned the vehicle and the code was miss fire 1 through 3. This is where is gets frustrating. There was a recall that was performed on the vehicle which they think would have cured the problem and it seemed to have worked for about 3 to 5,000km then it did it again, the timing belt has been done so then they had me do a tune up on the engine leads plugs etc, they also did something with the pcm not sure what im sorry to say.

The recent repair was the replaced the rocker arm as that was known to be an issue, it happened again after that and the dealer said that they would do it again and this time drop the oil and flush the engine to get rid of all the sludge and replaced the rocker arm again.

They have performed a leak down text, compression test etc and have talked to engineering the same thing has happened again and when i turn the vehicle off and start it again it runs fine for a while then the light flashes again, the dealer has it in the shop again and the code reads missfire 1 through 3.

Has anyone experienced this and can anyone give me any advice as to what to do, i have invested almost $8,000 in repairs and maintenance so far trying to solve this problem.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
749 Posts
Sounds like you need to find a different dealer. Not that hard to track a miss with the right knowledge and data. I betting the rear cam is out of time by 1 tooth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you need to find a different dealer. Not that hard to track a miss with the right knowledge and data. I betting the rear cam is out of time by 1 tooth.
Thank you for the advice, would the check engine light not come on right away if the cam was out by 1 tooth? this is the part that just doesn't make any sense, the fact that it runs well for almost 5,000km in some cases then acts up again

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Start by disabling the VCM.

Reactions: steve merc

·
Registered
749 Posts
Thank you for the advice, would the check engine light not come on right away if the cam was out by 1 tooth? this is the part that just doesn't make any sense, the fact that it runs well for almost 5,000km in some cases then acts up again
Yes, one tooth can cause sporadic miss codes. Conditions have to be just right for the ecm to identify it as a miss. It is quick and simple to verify t belt timing, nothing even needs to be disassembled. This would be my first thing before I progressed into deeper diag.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am hoping someone can help me with a frustrating issue i am having with my Honda. I have a 2010 Touring and my wife loves the vehicle it is perfect for our family. It has just over 110,000km on it so low kilometers for the year and over the last 4 years we have been battling an issue that the dealer cannot seem to fix.

what happens is the engine stutters when in Eco mode and then the CEL flashes but the vehicle doesn't seem to run to bad, the first time this happened to me i turned the vehicle off right away to not do any damage and had the vehicle taken to the dealer when they turned it on the car ran great and no check engine light.

They scanned the vehicle and the code was miss fire 1 through 3. This is where is gets frustrating. There was a recall that was performed on the vehicle which they think would have cured the problem and it seemed to have worked for about 3 to 5,000km then it did it again, the timing belt has been done so then they had me do a tune up on the engine leads plugs etc, they also did something with the pcm not sure what im sorry to say.

The recent repair was the replaced the rocker arm as that was known to be an issue, it happened again after that and the dealer said that they would do it again and this time drop the oil and flush the engine to get rid of all the sludge and replaced the rocker arm again.

They have performed a leak down text, compression test etc and have talked to engineering the same thing has happened again and when i turn the vehicle off and start it again it runs fine for a while then the light flashes again, the dealer has it in the shop again and the code reads missfire 1 through 3.

Has anyone experienced this and can anyone give me any advice as to what to do, i have invested almost $8,000 in repairs and maintenance so far trying to solve this problem.

Thanks

Steve
You need to replace The catalytic converter It’s basically the lungs of a car after 100,000 miles they usually go bad if you do this your problem will no longer exist

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
You need to replace The catalytic converter It’s basically the lungs of a car after 100,000 miles they usually go bad if you do this your problem will no longer exist
I hate to disagree with you so much, but sometimes it's best to treat the cause.

Reactions: Pathfinder_actual

·
Registered
2005 Honda pilot EX-L (Big Ronda)
160 Posts
Thats not accurate. As long as your vehicles maintained and not having issues running rich or other fluids contaminating the cat you shouldn't have catalyst issues at that mileage. Catalysts can last 10+ years if not contaminated. Plus the vehicle would have a catalyst inefficiency code. The computer can tell through the O2 sensors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts