Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Continued 2010 GMC Acadia Maintenance Fun.

7K views 60 replies 7 participants last post by  cintocrunch 
#1 · (Edited)
A very elderly family member failed to get TSB(SB-10056459-3388) done on a 34k mile Acadia within the 10 year limit, that switches fluid to Dextron VI. Surprisingly the power steering still works but the fluid is really black. What fluid would you use to flush it out with for now, to buy some time. What is the OEM fluid? Signed by: GM Vehicle Dumb

Added: Confirmed the original OE fluid as GM part #89021184 . Now searching for alternatives.

#4 ·
Well I'm sure everyone is dying to know the final dillio on the GM power steering fluid dilemma. Be glad we own Hondas. After I cross referenced a replacement part # for the original #, I managed to find this fluid locally with a different #. I was able to come to the conclusion that it's the same stuff, by reading a Bob the Oil guy thread. It's just a larger bottle. They dont tell you these things. You got to painfully figure it out the hard way.

Reactions: Sha93
#6 ·
I know the TSB was never performed..., so no new seals.
If it were my vehicle, I'd have put Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF. Hence the pain of finding OEM.

#9 ·
🤔 If this AutoZone Honda Power Steering Fluid has the GM # 89021184 specification, does that mean my OE Honda PS fluid will work in this GMC power steering system?

There, I made a reason to post this GMC problem in a Honda forum. Lol
You're just lucky there's someone here who will find it in his heart to forgive not just seven times but seventy-seven times. :) Matthew 18:21-35

#12 ·
Well with 3 fresh quarts ($37) of OEM ps fluid pushed through the system, with the wheels off the ground, going lock to lock on the steering wheel, I'm somewhat satisfied, even though the fluid is not sparkling clean. I think I'm going to stop there.
Now, what to do with this 10 year old Dex Cool puke in the radiator. 🤦‍♂️

#18 ·
After all the research, im pretty confident in saying that you could use AC Delco Power Steering Fluid item # 19329448 (32oz) or 19329450 (16oz) in our Honda's.

#23 ·
Firefox is where it's at.

Not sure I'm willing to go so far as to say AC Delco power steering fluid and Honda power steering fluid are interchangeable.

The Traverse does not have a draincock on the radiator, you'll have to pull the lower radiator hose. Also, check the water pump for signs of weeping, they are a known failure point. Given the level of the coolant, if the overflow is at the correct level you're probably fine.

Don't you love the idiotic design where you have to remove 10 clips and that shroud to access the coolant? Or that you have to remove the oil cap to remove the engine cover to get to the power steering reservoir?

#25 ·
Firefox is where it's at.
Been a while since I used Firefox. I had issues back in January, until I switched to Chrome.
Not sure I'm willing to go so far as to say AC Delco power steering fluid and Honda power steering fluid are interchangeable.
Pouring it out of the bottle, I'd say it's a close cousin. The AC Delco did looked clearer, more refined.
The Traverse does not have a draincock on the radiator, you'll have to pull the lower radiator hose. Also, check the water pump for signs of weeping, they are a known failure point. Given the level of the coolant, if the overflow is at the correct level you're probably fine.
No drain is just crazy. No engine block drain either. I been putting off doung the job. Will take several distilled water dilutions to flush the old out. I got 6 gallons of distilled. Still may not be enough.
Don't you love the idiotic design where you have to remove 10 clips and that shroud to access the coolant?
Yes, and the plastic lays flat on the top bar, trapping moisture and causing it to rust.
Or that you have to remove the oil cap to remove the engine cover to get to the power steering reservoir?
I was scratching my head as to where the PS fluid was. I was looking for a torques bit to fit the screws on top of the cover until I realized they were fake, lol.

Reactions: cintocrunch
#46 ·
Congrats:

1. Water pumps are known to weep. Just keep an eye on the overflow tank.
  2. Pre 2013 models did not require full synthetic oil and had smaller oil passages for the timing chain. Some have had stretched chains. Looks like you are extremely low miles so stick with full synthetic and keep the level topped up.
  3. The PCV orifice (it's not a valve) was updated in 2013 to have a larger hole so the gases would slow down and let the solids drop out more effectively. Recommend popping the PCV off as well and drilling out the holes to prevent this from ever being a problem.
  4. The transmission has the worst tuning for anything other than acceleration from a stop. Fresh Dex VI will help but mine still slams a downshift at a roundabout if I don't get it just right.
  5. Waveplates (3-5-R) in the transmission were known failure points, I don't think it was a recall so read up on that.
Otherwise, they ride great and are huge, even compared to a Pilot. Excellent highway vehicle and excellent seat comfort for my big and tall arse. Good mileage. Happy motoring.

Reactions: Nail Grease
#47 ·
Ty for info. Was hardly driven 34k miles.
This is what I did 9 months ago.
  • AC Delco Air Filter # A3083C
  • Rotella Gas Truck 5w30 5.5qt
  • Mobil1 oil filter M1-113A
  • 2 x D&F, 4.5 quart Amalie Universal Synthetic ATF
  • AC Delco PSF 3qts # 10-5073 (GM# 19329448 32oz or 450 16z)
  • Front Brake pads
  • Dot 3 Brake fluid flush
  • Radiator Flush with Distilled, 1.75 galllons DexCool

Reactions: cintocrunch
#58 ·
Since inheriting this 2010 Acadia, might as well drive it, right? After just a couple of three thousand miles, the struts blew out all the hydraulic fluid and got the classic knocking sound driving on rough roads. Seems time was the enemy more than mileage. Anyway, slapped on these new KYBs instead of Gabriel or Monroe. Works great on the Honda Crosstour.
¯\(ツ)
Automotive tire Coil spring Valve Gas Plumbing valve

Automotive tire White Light Coil Plumbing valve

#61 ·
Nice! The Lambdas are pretty good vehicles to drive I think. Very comfy seats and compared to our '15 Pilot the suspension is much better for around town and highway driving. The 2nd gen Pilots seem to be tuned better for "soft road" driving and can be a little floaty.

Reactions: Nail Grease
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.