Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed a Sony XAV-AX8000 in my 2010 pilot EX-L. I used the harness that Crutchfield made. I have sound from the three dash speakers and the ones in each door. I do not have any sound from the rear pillar speakers or the subwoofer. I reinstalled the factory radio while on the phone with a tech from crutchfield. When I plug in the gray connector next to the main connector,
the rears and sub come on. The tech could not find any information in their documentation regarding that plug. He stated that it is not used in the install and that i should have all speakers working.

·
Registered
750 Posts
A few things need to be clarified. This is not a Navigation model, correct? Also, while you do appear to have Rear Entertainment (RES), it does not appear like you have a factory amplifier. If you did, none of your speakers would work unless the harness for your Sony actually connects to preamps. Can you post a picture of what your harness from Crutchfield looks like? Even so, factory amp needs communication from factory head unit to work properly. At this point I will just assume that head unit powers all speakers directly.

The pinouts you found are for Nav system with a factory amp, but I am pretty sure that the 'B' connector is the one you are talking about and gives correct wire positions/colors. The thicker red and light blue ones on the side are the B1 and B8 subwoofer wires. The four leftmost wires on your photo are for the rear pillar speakers. (B4/B11 for left, B5/B12 for right)
I personally have this unit:
So I can send test tone to test speakers. You can do a 9V battery test. Attach a pair of wires to a 9V battery at try poking at those terminals on a disconnected B connector. You should get some 'scratches and pops' from the sub and rear surrounds, even if the car is powered off and car battery negative is disconnected.

Now the question is, how to make this thing work. For rear surrounds, you could try hooking them parallel to rear door speakers, and hope that Sony head can drive both.
Namely, splice B4 (red) to green/black on Sony harness, B11(grey/black) to green, B5 (red) to purple/black and B12(blue/black) to purple. Remember, hooking speakers in parallel effectively reduces impendance, requiring more amp power to drive them properly. I kinda doubt built-in amp on the Sony is up to it. You can wire these in series instead, but they will likely be pretty quiet.

The sub is powered by factory head built-in amp, which Sony does not have. You need an external amp. One option, if you want to retain the factory sub, is get a mini amp that can be powered from accessory outlet 12V and mounted somewhere near the head unit so you don'y need much in the way of new wiring. You would take your Sony sub pre-amp to this mini amp and hook the amp output to B1/B8 wires.

A far better option would be to get a proper outboard 5 channel amp, such as Alpine S-A55V. It can definitely power both in-door and satellite rears in parallel. And you can upgrade the anemic factory sub to something much better. But the downside of that is you will need all new speaker wiring to all speaker locations from the amp, as well as a power wire run from the battery to the amp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is the built in amp for new radio built-in internal amp (20 watts RMS CTA-2006/55 peak x 4 channels)

also, outputs: 5-channel preamp outputs (5-volt front, rear, mono sub)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Goodness gracious. That is one messed up setup....
Sony runs the sound through its internal amp, then that gets downconverted back to line by that SLC-4 box, then it is fed to the internal factory amp... :oops:
So, there is a factory amp then.
What SHOULD have been done here is that speaker wire pairs on the harness that plugs into main vehicle connector (white/striped white, grey/striped grey, green/striped green, purple/striped purple) should have been wired to four RCA plugs, and plugged into sony preamps (red/white) The wires 1 and 8 on B connector ought to go to a 5th RCA plug and connected to the sub preamp (black)

The rear satellite wires on B connector should be spliced parallel as per my prior post (to green/purple wires, so that these channels get input from Sony rear preamps)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have passed that on to the crutchfield tech. He was sending me a new harness, maybe this idea can be incorporated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
750 Posts
That B connector will be likely impossible to locate. So don't expect Crutchfield to get you a harness you can just plug into. Some splicing (likely via T-connectors) would be needed.

Pretty sure that Sony unit has also hookups to parking brake as safety feature, and and to reverse signal wire for the rear camera. How is that being handled? Also, how are you handling steering wheel audio controls?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha, earlier today he already processed the order and is sending me two of these no charge and some instructions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have not done the camera yet, that is next. the steering wheel controls used this:
iDatalink ADS-MSW — Steering Wheel Control

·
Registered
750 Posts
Nice, that's the same device I got in my Pilot. Would have gone with the RR model, but unfortunately it offers only limited additional functionality on the Pilot (essentially just gauges display). Does 2010 EX-L come equipped with Bluetooth? If it does, you will need to tap into HandsFreeLink module wires in order for phone buttons on the wheel and factory microphone to work with the Sony.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts