Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my problems with my 2016 Elite.. The transmission replacements.. 2 of them.. 1 on them and 1 on me would make most people be bitter. I don't live like that. Current transmission is hanging in there so far.. I'm at about 80k on it.

As for the rest of the car, it's been fantastic. I have yet to change my brakes, but I don't use them too much as it's almost all freeway driving. Have not had to change my suspension components. Just oil changes, and other regular maintenance that Honda requires. My tires last 100k on average.

It's still as comfortable as the day I bought it. I get great gas mileage and use it to haul stuff to my customers daily. The leather has held up very well and so has the paint. I'd be happy to continue to drive this car anywhere in the country.

Would I buy another one? Yes, but I'd wait a year or two after the first new model, I definitely learned my lesson on this one. Let others get the gremlins out.
Vehicle Car Auto part Mid-size car Speedometer

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had my problems with my 2016 Elite.. The transmission replacements.. 2 of them.. 1 on them and 1 on me would make most people be bitter. I don't live like that. Current transmission is hanging in there so far.. I'm at about 80k on it.

As for the rest of the car, it's been fantastic. I have yet to change my brakes, but I don't use them too much as it's almost all freeway driving. Have not had to change my suspension components. Just oil changes, and other regular maintenance that Honda requires. My tires last 100k on average.

View attachment 135915
Thanks for this post - not surprised about your transmission issues. I have driven all my Hondas to 250k, no issues making that number of miles with most of my driving being freeway - like yours. I've never replaced a transmission. Maybe I'm lucky.

Questions:
Are you still running the original fuel injectors, or have you had to replace them?
What tires are you running to get 100K?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
Traded Pilot for Highlander
265 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I'm definitely glad to see that kind of mileage.

·
Registered
11,438 Posts
Why did you have to buy a 9 speed transmission after they replaced it once?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tires.. Continentals on first round, Michelin on second round, and Yokohama on the current round.. All of them are the $180-$220 each range. I really like the Continentals.. I got 110 out of them..

First Transmission was under warranty, second one was at 130k miles and 30k miles past warranty on replacement transmission. So they would not replace for free.. Cost me 4-5k to replace.. I think it was $4200 plus tax.. I would have to look at receipt.

Fuel injectors I have never replaced. I have never had an injector fail on any of my cars, but I do live in the South and our gas does not change with the seasons. I also buy Tier 1 gas and have been fortunate to not get a dirty tank of gas. I also never replace spark plugs. I only look at these things if there is a problem or error codes are being thrown.

30 years ago, I did have to play around with these things, but engines are so much better now and the computer management is amazing, even though there are bugs that show up as tech changes.

I read a lot of the posts on here and I honestly find them to be a lot of misinformation or misinformed people. I used to play around with suspensions and engines.. I found as I tweaked them, the car would wear itself out at a faster pace than the CONSERVATIVE engineers designed. I know there is planned obsolescence, but I do not think car engineers are among them. They are told to build something that will last, require maintenance that is not overwhelming, and make the customer want to stay brand loyal. Plus I got old.. lol.. so I just stay stock. When I do that, I get 200k plus out of them.

·
Registered
11,438 Posts
Tires.. Continentals on first round, Michelin on second round, and Yokohama on the current round.. All of them are the $180-$220 each range. I really like the Continentals.. I got 110 out of them..

First Transmission was under warranty, second one was at 130k miles and 30k miles past warranty on replacement transmission. So they would not replace for free.. Cost me 4-5k to replace.. I think it was $4200 plus tax.. I would have to look at receipt.

Fuel injectors I have never replaced. I have never had an injector fail on any of my cars, but I do live in the South and our gas does not change with the seasons. I also buy Tier 1 gas and have been fortunate to not get a dirty tank of gas. I also never replace spark plugs. I only look at these things if there is a problem or error codes are being thrown.

30 years ago, I did have to play around with these things, but engines are so much better now and the computer management is amazing, even though there are bugs that show up as tech changes.

I read a lot of the posts on here and I honestly find them to be a lot of misinformation or misinformed people. I used to play around with suspensions and engines.. I found as I tweaked them, the car would wear itself out at a faster pace than the CONSERVATIVE engineers designed. I know there is planned obsolescence, but I do not think car engineers are among them. They are told to build something that will last, require maintenance that is not overwhelming, and make the customer want to stay brand loyal. Plus I got old.. lol.. so I just stay stock. When I do that, I get 200k plus out of them.
I have a set of Continental 80k mile tires on one of my vehicles. I can say to that they wear nicely. My only complaint is they are a touring tire and not real responsive. The only set of Yokahama tires I owned were terrible. Very poorly made and were hard to keep balanced.
I like staying stock in my old age too. But I've never had to replace a transmission once, much less twice to break 200k in a Honda.
In my life time, I've owned many Honda vehicles. Civic, Accord, Crosstour, CRV, Pilot..., All of them needed a spark plug change by 100k. Surly the dealership slipped you a set in that 200k somewhere.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a set of Continental 80k mile tires on one of my vehicles. I can say to that they wear nicely. My only complaint is they are a touring tire and not real responsive. The only set of Yokahama tires I owned were terrible. Very poorly made and were hard to keep balanced.
I like staying stock in my old age too. But I've never had to replace a transmission once, much less twice to break 200k in a Honda.
In my life time, I've owned many Honda vehicles. Civic, Accord, Crosstour, CRV, Pilot..., All of them needed a spark plug change by 100k. Surly the dealership slipped you a set in that 200k somewhere.
Haha, it's possible they slipped some spark plugs in there, I've pulled spark plugs on VW and my Honda Accord at 100k just to look at them and they look brand new. I replaced them anyway because it's not much of an expense.

The transmission is the first one I've ever replaced that was not on one of my old Muscle Cars. ZF built an engineering marvel of a 9 speed, but I think it was not ready for primetime. Chrysler had similar problem with it. The first time it was the Dogleg gear that went and on the second one, it was 3 different things it could have been.. Error code was Torque Converter slipping. To gamble on it was going to be a 2k expense each time, so I selected to just pull it. No one can rebuild them.

I've only had bad luck with Goodyears and Toyo.. The Goodyears just seem to get out of balance at 60k+ and are not able to get back to a quiet state. The Toyo's were the same problem, but at 40k they were incredibly loud. I took a gamble on the Yokohama because I'm pretty confident this will be the last set of tires I will purchase for the vehicle and if they get annoying, it's the end anyway.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
268 Posts
“Just oil changes, and other regular maintenance that Honda requires.”
I assume this means time belt replacement too?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Haha, it's possible they slipped some spark plugs in there, I've pulled spark plugs on VW and my Honda Accord at 100k just to look at them and they look brand new. I replaced them anyway because it's not much of an expense.

The transmission is the first one I've ever replaced that was not on one of my old Muscle Cars. ZF built an engineering marvel of a 9 speed, but I think it was not ready for primetime. Chrysler had similar problem with it. The first time it was the Dogleg gear that went and on the second one, it was 3 different things it could have been.. Error code was Torque Converter slipping. To gamble on it was going to be a 2k expense each time, so I selected to just pull it. No one can rebuild them.

I've only had bad luck with Goodyears and Toyo.. The Goodyears just seem to get out of balance at 60k+ and are not able to get back to a quiet state. The Toyo's were the same problem, but at 40k they were incredibly loud. I took a gamble on the Yokohama because I'm pretty confident this will be the last set of tires I will purchase for the vehicle and if they get annoying, it's the end anyway.
Why can't anybody rebuild them? Are they just too complex or could you just not find one? I'm getting worried now because if the transmission on my pilot goes out in around 10-15 years, there might not be a replacement.:(

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
“Just oil changes, and other regular maintenance that Honda requires.”
I assume this means time belt replacement too?
I go to Honda every 10k miles and I do whatever the maintenance minders say to do.. Trans Fluid, Diff Fluid, Brake Flush, Timing Belt, etc.. I cannot be stranded someplace with a broken car. It's hot in Louisiana and mostly Rural. I've never found it worthwhile to be a cheapskate on maintenance.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why can't anybody rebuild them? Are they just too complex or could you just not find one? I'm getting worried now because if the transmission on my pilot goes out in around 10-15 years, there might not be a replacement.:(
They are just very new. Someone will rebuild them at some point. They are not simple to take apart. If you look up a blow up diagram, there are wiring harnesses inside, and many sensors. It's not just a mechanical device. It also may be just more cost effective to replace as a unit due to this. By the time you replace all the sensors, wiring harnesses, etc.. labor cost may outweigh any savings.

I did call a company in Tennessee that said they rebuilt them, but I did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling with going that way. It would have only saved me about $800.. I suspect it was a used transmission from a wrecked vehicle.

·
Registered
11,438 Posts
I go to Honda every 10k miles and I do whatever the maintenance minders say to do.. Trans Fluid, Diff Fluid, Brake Flush, Timing Belt, etc.. I cannot be stranded someplace with a broken car. It's hot in Louisiana and mostly Rural. I've never found it worthwhile to be a cheapskate on maintenance.
Minus spark plugs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts