Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The power lumbar on the driver's seat on my 2009 Pilot Touring recently stopped working. When I push the button to extend or retract the lumbar support, it may move a little, but it's hard to tell if it is doing anything at all. I do hear clicking when pushing the button in either direction...almost like a stripped gear or something.

I tried to look at some online seat parts diagrams, but not only are they small and low-res but I don't even know what I might be looking for or how to even get to the parts under the leather seat covers. Is this something I could take apart and put back together without causing any damage to the pleather?

Anyone know what the problem might be and what is involved with fixing it?

Thanks in advance!
- Bob

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one has had their seat apart or knows what is involved? Thx

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Answering my own post, I was able to remove the back seat cover and get to the driver's seat power lumbar mechanism, gearbox, and motor. As I suspected, the plastic planetary gears in the gearbox were shattered. I designed and 3D-printed almost perfect replacement gears in ABS plastic and re-installed. After a few tries when pressure was put on the mechanism, my gears shattered as well. The outer toothed shell of the gearbox assy had a small crack in it so I am speculating that under pressure it expands allowing the internal planetary gears to maybe mistrack and once one tooth/gear gets off track it goes to hell from there causing mass failure.

I ordered an complete replacement power lumbar assy (81590-SZA-A41) for $160 and will just use the motor, gearbox, and cable leaving the current plastic lumbar finger supports in the seat in place. Hopefully it will last a few more years.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Props to you for going after it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I got no response so figured I would dig in and see what I could find. Maybe my post will help out someone in a similar situation in the future.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2 years after fixing mine the replacement part I purchased is still working fine. That being said, I don't play with the lumbar adjustment too much anymore. :grin:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Even older news is still helpful news - when you need it. Thank you Bobot for this post.
Although you answered it yourself - it was answered. And that's exactly what I needed!
Mine broke awhile back as well. But I just decided that (with 5 kids) there were other more important thinmgs to do.
Yesterday I did a 500+ mile drive without it. My back is killing me now.
Guess what's going to get fixed by next weekend?
Thanks again Bobot!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
2 years after fixing mine the replacement part I purchased is still working fine. That being said, I don't play with the lumbar adjustment too much anymore. 😁
How did you get the back off the seat off? My 09 pilot's lumbar broke today on the way to Asheville and I want to fix it soon with out damaging anything. after the 3.5 hour trip my back felt it not being there too! Thanks for taking the time to post and follow up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Even older news is still helpful news - when you need it. Thank you Bobot for this post.
Although you answered it yourself - it was answered. And that's exactly what I needed!
Mine broke awhile back as well. But I just decided that (with 5 kids) there were other more important thinmgs to do.
Yesterday I did a 500+ mile drive without it. My back is killing me now.
Guess what's going to get fixed by next weekend?
Thanks again Bobot!!
Please see comment #9

·
Registered
2 Posts
How did you get the back off the seat off? My 09 pilot's lumbar broke today on the way to Asheville and I want to fix it soon with out damaging anything. after the 3.5 hour trip my back felt it not being there too! Thanks for taking the time to post and follow up.

Tom, It wasn't that hard. I should tell you up front that I was unable to REPLACE that part. The seat is welded in such a way that that part won't come out.
BUT -- I did find a "work-around" that is working wonderfully. So, save yourself the $250 for the part and fix it the old fashioned way - Jerry-rig it!
Attached are the pages that will help you to take the seat out and get the back off. Just be careful unclipping all the leads to the NAV Control Box.
The Basic Steps were -- disconnect battery, remove front seat, remove hooks and detatch clips beneath the seat, remove seat back (easy) and apply the "Alternate Fix".
Put back together in reverse order. Connect battery and put all codes back into Nav and Radio units.
My "Alternate Fix" was to take a short length of seatbelt-like strapping and physically pull the Lumbar Support down in to it's "full out" position.
I had a friend hold it there and put a bolt, washer, lock washer and nut to connect the two ends. It works great.
Now, you won't have the ability to 'adjust' the Lumbar Support control (because it's still suffering from a stripped gear and nor locked in place)
but, as it's not removable from the seat back without taking the entire seat apart, this "fix" works wonderfully.
You can install the strap, put the seat on the floor and check out the 'bump' at the lumbar level and adjust as needed.
In any case, what you get is your lumber support back. Here's those attachments --

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts