Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 EXL RES

I have this harmonic hum coming from the back of the vehicle. I'm just looking to borrow someone's experience. I have only had it about a month. it has 80k on it. Low (like 15mph) and high speeds (as high as 90). I get what sounds like a wheel bearing hum. I checked the hubs and there was a little bind to them. Replace both hubs, pads, rotors, pins/boots, all brake hardware, adjusted the parking brake shoes, and drained/filled the dif. Should be set for the rear end. There was no play or bind in the axles.

My next step is to check if the tires are balanced because they probably have about 5k miles. But they are cheapies (Ironman Tires) so I don't know they were mounted by a reputable tech. I'm also thinking I might swap the back wheels with my MDX to check if its just crappy tire noise.

So question is, does anyone with more experience know if these have trouble with yolk bearing or carrier bearings, drive shafts, other components?

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
2009 EXL RES

I have this harmonic hum coming from the back of the vehicle. I'm just looking to borrow someone's experience. I have only had it about a month. it has 80k on it. Low (like 15mph) and high speeds (as high as 90). I get what sounds like a wheel bearing hum. I checked the hubs and there was a little bind to them. Replace both hubs, pads, rotors, pins/boots, all brake hardware, adjusted the parking brake shoes, and drained/filled the dif. Should be set for the rear end. There was no play or bind in the axles.

My next step is to check if the tires are balanced because they probably have about 5k miles. But they are cheapies (Ironman Tires) so I don't know they were mounted by a reputable tech. I'm also thinking I might swap the back wheels with my MDX to check if its just crappy tire noise.

So question is, does anyone with more experience know if these have trouble with yolk bearing or carrier bearings, drive shafts, other components?
Does the pitch increase as you increase speed?

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
520 Posts
I've got the same thing going on with my 04. There's a weird resonating hum that happens when I'm between 40 and 80, but only when applying gentle power with the accelerator. If I let off the gas, it goes away, or if I mash down on the accelerator, it goes away too. It also only starts to happen after about an hour of driving, when things are warmed up. It never does it during the first hour or so of driving. It makes taking long road trips annoying because of the weird hum that just fills the cabin and hurts my ears. It's kind of a hollow resonating sound, and I can't accurately capture it on video.

I've replaced my front wheel bearings (multiple times), the half-shaft axle bearing, replaced both front CV axles, regreased the original axles and put them back in, done ATF drain and fills 5 times, changed the rear differential fluid, replaced the front and side motor mounts, valve adjustment, timing belt replacement, new control arms and struts and shocks. Mine seems to come from the front, possibly the engine, or part of the drive shaft components, but the sounds just seems to come from all over so it's hard to pinpoint it.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
I've got the same thing going on with my 04. There's a weird resonating hum that happens when I'm between 40 and 80, but only when applying gentle power with the accelerator. If I let off the gas, it goes away, or if I mash down on the accelerator, it goes away too. It also only starts to happen after about an hour of driving, when things are warmed up. It never does it during the first hour or so of driving. It makes taking long road trips annoying because of the weird hum that just fills the cabin and hurts my ears. It's kind of a hollow resonating sound, and I can't accurately capture it on video.

I've replaced my front wheel bearings (multiple times), the half-shaft axle bearing, replaced both front CV axles, regreased the original axles and put them back in, done ATF drain and fills 5 times, changed the rear differential fluid, replaced the front and side motor mounts, valve adjustment, timing belt replacement, new control arms and struts and shocks. Mine seems to come from the front, possibly the engine, or part of the drive shaft components, but the sounds just seems to come from all over so it's hard to pinpoint it.
Rear engine mount?

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
520 Posts
Rear engine mount?
Maybe, that's the only one I didn't do since it's hard to get to. Visually it looks okay, but since my front and right were bad, I wouldn't be surprised if it was bad also. Maybe that's where the occasionally knocking comes from too when accelerating up a hill.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Maybe, that's the only one I didn't do since it's hard to get to. Visually it looks okay, but since my front and right were bad, I wouldn't be surprised if it was bad also. Maybe that's where the occasionally knocking comes from too when accelerating up a hill.
Yep, not an easy job. Hate for you to do all that work to still have the hum and knock.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
No, the pitch never increases. Just the bandwidth and volume obviously.
With no pitch change it sounds like it could be a wheel bearing. If you have AWD, the differential can also be trouble if the previous owner didn't change the fluid as recommended. Really hard to say though sitting in my chair. It be best to find out what it is sooner than later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys I know its been 9 months. But you know, covid. Anyways. I finally figured out the problem and haven't been driving it. 1 bad shock. I bought the pilot in June 2020 and it had a newish set of tires on it. So no abnormal wear or choppiness. And when you do a bounce test the shocks seemed to return and damped the movement just fine. I needed new shocks for my MDX and figured, screw it, I'll buy some for the Pilot too since the set on it is likely original and now 12 years old.

Pulled the driver rear tire off and the inner edge was icecream scooped. Pulled the shock off, compressed it, and it still hasn't returned a week later. I've seen them go bad and stop dampning but still have the full range. Hence the bouncy-bouncy. Ive never seen one hold the spring compressed instead of pushing against it

So, new Sensens and new tires. Quiet as a mouse.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
That explains the no pitch change. Thanks for the update.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts