Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping some one out there has some insights that might help me with this issue. A couple of days ago my 2009 Pilot suddenly wouldn't crank. When it stopped starting, I recalled that the previous couple of starts seems a little off, like a it had a little skip just before it fully started.
  • There is lots of power to all the electrical components, but no crank when I try to start.
  • I have four different keys and they all don't work, and the immobilizer light on the dash does not come on so I don't believe the immobilizer is coming into play (supposedly the starter will still crank if the immobilizer is active)
  • I have checked or swapped every fuse or relay that is documented to have any association with the starter or ignition, and this has not helped.
  • I'm desperately trying not to have to tow it to the dealer I I expect they will say I need a starter replacement for several hundred dollars.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,188 Posts
Check your manual, but I believe the immobilizer icon lights up for a few seconds during starting. This is for my 2005, so yours may be different.
If you don’t have a multimeter purchase one. Even the Harbor Freight $7 one is good enough. Check battery voltage when everything is off and at the starter solenoid input when you attempt to crank the engine.
If you have an aftermarket alarm system also check its fuse and also loose wiring for any of its connections.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check your manual, but I believe the immobilizer icon lights up for a few seconds during starting. This is for my 2005, so yours may be different.
If you don’t have a multimeter purchase one. Even the Harbor Freight $7 one is good enough. Check battery voltage when everything is off and at the starter solenoid input when you attempt to crank the engine.
If you have an aftermarket alarm system also check its fuse and also loose wiring for any of its connections.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah so the immobilizer icon does light up for a second or two when you first move turn the key from I to II, but goes out once the key is confirmed. Mine goes out so I'm confident the immobilizer is not the culprit. Battery voltage is good at 12.14 so no issues there. No aftermarket alarm or other systems installed. I'm currently looking at pulling the starter and getting it tested, although this may be more challenging than I'd like.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Your battery voltage is on the low side of good, but the Pilot should start with that battery voltage.

You’ll need a long breaker bar to get those two bolts loosened. Mine was only 18” long and I was pulling with all my might. Shortly after that I purchased a 30” breaker bar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe the fuel pump. New to Honda Pilots, but my Honda fit had a similar issue. Every once in a while it would have trouble starting then one day it wouldn't.
Checked all the fuses and they where all good.
Try spraying some starter fluid in the air intake, if it starts it's most likely the issue.

·
Read Only
187 Posts
Tap on the starter with a hammer, if it starts, then replace the starter. Also if your battery is more then 3 years old you may want to replace it. Usually a starter replacement is easy depending on its location, just two bolts. Don't buy a cheap starter get a Denso if you never want to replace it again. Always go with Denso when you can for alternators, starters, ect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts