Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2009 Honda Pilot and recently the stock alarm randomly goes off. It could be during the day or in the middle of the evening. I have a ArcticStart remote alarm/starter but that alarm system does not go off. This has never happened before in the past. Battery is decent, all doors close fine, no open door signals on the dash. I did wash the car with my garden hose the other day.(It's been years since I have washed any car myself). But the washing is the only thing I've done differently. Oh, and I did change the spark plugs, but not the coils. The other thing to note is that my rear outside hatch rubber button is not as sensitive to engaging unlock mode as it used to. (I have to press it multiple times and catch it just at the right time so as to be able to lift up the door hatch.) I've had the ArcticStart alarm for almost one year now and never had any compatibility issues with the stock alarm. Any ideas as to why this is happening? I read water in the electrical system around the doors. If water is the culprit, then evaporation eventually should result in it resolving itself. I will certainly wait for that to happen but if it continues after a reasonable time then probably it wouldn't be related. It's a fascinating yet frustrating issue.

Additions since original post:
I did get a new battery because the old one was getting low. With the new battery, the rear door button was far more receptive to touch; it allowed me to open the rear door instantly. Since installing the new battery I had not heard the alarm go off.....until about 5 days later the alarm turned on! So concluding that a new battery did not solve my random car alarm problem, I took the next step with the advice of other Piloteers to disconnect the engine hood alarm wire harness connector located a few inches from the hood latch. I did this on June 12th. Now I will wait to hear if the alarm randomly goes off. To be confident that the problem is resolved, a wait time of 4 to 7 days will be needed. It has been over a week since disconnecting the hood alarm wire harness, and the alarm has not gone off randomly at all. The disconnection of the harness has resolve the problem. What is it about the harness connection that causes the alarm to go off? I have no idea but I am not about to troubleshoot The root cause. I am thankful for those who have suggested to disconnect and am satisfied with the fact that the problem has been fixed.
Case closed.

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for writing back. I Appreciate your support. With my fob key,when I lock the car the brake lights on the back go on as well as the front as normal. Last night at 3 in the morning with the car in the garage with the car door is naturally shut but unlocked, the car stock alarm started honking. At that point I stumbled down stairs into the garage and disconnected the negative terminal on the battery. Just to play it safe I bought a new battery today, 600 cca, which is generally pretty decent and will get me by. We'll see how things go.
Update: It has been 8 hours since installing the new battery, and to my pleasant surprise, the car alarm has not yet spontaneously turned on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Under the hood. By the latch there is a hood latch sensor. Unplug it. I’ve had this happen on my 2010 and on a crv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapata
Under the hood. By the latch there is a hood latch sensor. Unplug it. I’ve had this happen on my 2010 and on a crv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i think that is the problem the hood latch sensor.
On my 2011 Pilot I checked it today and was
Not good. I think it randomly works and stops working and that triggers the alarm
lk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Africaguide, today, June 12th, I disconnected the sensor relay connector that goes directly to the hood latch. I will continue to wait so many days to see if the alarm activates by itself. Read my original but edited post to find out the continued details. Thanks for writing to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts