Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Pilot that is burning about 1/2 a quart a month. Just started in last couple months. 125,000 miles
Oil changed regularly.

We had a Nissan with a similar problem. It also developed an issue idling. The mechanic used some sort of decarb through the intake and it fixed both problems.

Has anyone noticed anything similar? Could it be carbon fouling? I have had several high mileage Hondas and none used any oil to speak of.

·
Registered
213 Posts
According to Honda 1 quart every 1,000 miles is normal. You could check to see if any particular plug is oil fouled, but you should be getting a misfire code. You may be in the initial states of VCM oil consumption issues. Many TSBs and lawsuits regarding this one.

·
Registered
906 Posts
There is an issue with the V6 and VCM that causes excessive oil consumption on these engines. If you have not had it back in for a program update and fouled plug replacement, then you are lucky. Honda has extended the warranty on these engines to cover this. I've had that issue and the first time, they changed fouled plugs on cyl 2 and updated the computer. This was under 100K and two yrs ago. Second time it happened was on Cyl 4 this past December at 149K. I was on the road between KC and Columbia MO towing a trailer. I limped it in to Honda in MO and they replaced the fouled plug on 4 and told me I needed the second part of this recall which is to pull the heads and replace the rings on cyl 1-4 as well as all the plugs. I got it back home and Honda did the fix. Took them around 2 days. I've had no noticeable oil consumption on my last two oil changes and my highway mpg with AC on is holding steady at 22-23. My total out of pocket other than time was $0.

Prior to this fix, I was using anywhere from a quart to two quarts between oil changes. I still check my oil level at every fill up and as part of my weekend auto checks and still carry a couple quarts of oil in the back just in case it is down, but have yet to use them.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The 2009 is likely too old now for the warranty extension as the extension was 8 years/unlimited mileage.

I would immediately order and install the VCMuzzler. You can order on eBay or directly from Verbatim on this forum. It will disable the VCM system 95% of the time and will most likely solve your oil consumption issue if it's due to VCM and not too far advanced.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The 2009 is likely too old now for the warranty extension as the extension was 8 years/unlimited mileage.

I would immediately order and install the VCMuzzler. You can order on eBay or directly from Verbatim on this forum. It will disable the VCM system 95% of the time and will most likely solve your oil consumption issue if it's due to VCM and not too far advanced.
Amen on the Muzzler -- it sure worked well for me on my '10 @ 150,000 miles! Mc:smile:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just FYI, but the guy that sells the VCMuzzler is out for a bit on honeymoon. Not sure when he will be back, but orders are going to be pushed out a bit longer than normal. I had to send my VCMuzzler back as it had a loose wire that would cause the temperature gauge to top out at random and I had to send it back to get fixed and when I checked in, I got an auto reply that he would be out for a bit.

That's not to say it's not back up and running, just wanted to pass along that delivery might push out a bit.

Although... I will say that I love my VCMuzzler. Works great!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts