Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in at the dealer last month for the 104K timing belt, pump service. They told me that the vehicle needed new plugs and valve adjustment. I had done the spark plugs at home a couple of weeks before, so I asked whether the assessment was based on mileage. They told me that its based upon the engine's Maintenance Minder feature. I'm suspcious about being upsold at the dealer. Is there any way to know when this engine actually needs a valve adjustment? Is there any type of objective diagnostic that can be performed?

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I was in at the dealer last month for the 104K timing belt, pump service. They told me that the vehicle needed new plugs and valve adjustment. I had done the spark plugs at home a couple of weeks before, so I asked whether the assessment was based on mileage. They told me that its based upon the engine's Maintenance Minder feature. I'm suspcious about being upsold at the dealer. Is there any way to know when this engine actually needs a valve adjustment? Is there any type of objective diagnostic that can be performed?
Automotive Mechanics Stethoscope

·
Registered
692 Posts
If the valves are quiet, they're too tight. Exhaust valve clearance tends to decrease and intake tends to open up a bit. Tight exhaust valves can burn.

Truthfully, the only really accurate way to check the clearances is with a feeler gauge as you are adjusting them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts