Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2009 pilot and I was wondering if it possible to upgrade to 2012 headlights. If so, how difficult is the job. Also if I have to do mods what they be.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,373 Posts
I had my doubts but it appears that it could be possible at first glance.
2015 top
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

2009 bottom

Reactions: Jvinn

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
The gen 2 has a dedicated DRL and separate high beam bulb while the gen 2.5 uses the high beam bulb to act as a DRL through pulse width modulation. If you are willing to give up DRLs it's just a matter of seeing if the bulbs for each are the same and possibly installing new connectors on the harness if the bulb is different.

If you still wanted DRLs I would probably look at adding something either in the grill opening or bumper opening and extending the DRL wiring to that area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The gen 2 has a dedicated DRL and separate high beam bulb while the gen 2.5 uses the high beam bulb to act as a DRL through pulse width modulation. If you are willing to give up DRLs it's just a matter of seeing if the bulbs for each are the same and possibly installing new connectors on the harness if the bulb is different.

If you still wanted DRLs I would probably look at adding something either in the grill opening or bumper opening and extending the DRL wiring to that area.
Ok so basically they will mount up the same it’s down to giving DRL up. That’s not a problem. I’d rather not have them. Now about the bulbs . You are referring to the high beams? And bulb size you mean like h11 lol sorry new to all this.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
I just looked it up:

Low beams for both are H11
High beams for both are 9005
Turn signals for 2009 are 3357NA while 2015 are 3457. In quick research it sounds like they have the same base and most replacement bulbs say they fit both.
Side marker light for 2009 are 194 while 2015 are 168. Both bulbs are the same size, 168 is a brighter bulb due to higher wattage.

So it sounds like those bulbs direct swap over.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just looked it up:

Low beams for both are H11
High beams for both are 9005
Turn signals for 2009 are 3357NA while 2015 are 3457. In quick research it sounds like they have the same base and most replacement bulbs say they fit both.
Side marker light for 2009 are 194 while 2015 are 168. Both bulbs are the same size, 168 is a brighter bulb due to higher wattage.

So it sounds like those bulbs direct swap over.

Ok thanks this actually helped allot. I wanted to do 2012+ headlights and grill

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Ok thanks this actually helped allot. I wanted to do 2012+ headlights and grill
Come back and post updates when you get it done!

Reactions: Nail Grease
1 - 8 of 8 Posts