Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive posted another thread but wanted to give another issue related to this problem. Pilot would shut down while driving when reaching operating temps, would emediately start back up until I drive a few minutes more then the same thing occurs. After weeks of troubleshooting, if I have one of the 2 bank 1 and bank 2 sensors unplugged, the car would never stall but the obvious 02 sensor code due to it not being plugged in. I can alternate each bank and car wont stall. If both plugged in, the car stalls. Bought 2 new sensors, same issue with stalling with both plugged in. Hears the kicker, if I have both new sensors plugged in, but not screwed into the cats, the car wont stall. I checked all fuses and relays, even went as far as replacing the fuse/relay box under the hood thinking that perhaps there was a short somewhere. Ive replaced the throttle body and guess pedal with the relearn procedure and a new pcm programmed by dealer and still same issue. The 3 codes I get when the 02 sensors are plugged in and screwed into the cats are P0135..P0155...and P0498, those pop up with the new 02 sensors as well. At this point, to keep the car running as we need it to commute, I have one of the 02 sensors unplugged. I do notice some hesitation on acceleration but think it may be due to the sensor unplugged. All 3 cats were replaced, I can only think of premature failure of bank 1 and 2 cats but wouldnt think it would cause it to stall when it reaches operating temp. The car does not stall at first start up and driving it until it reaches operating temp. At my wits end with 183k on it. Valve adjustment, timing belt, water pump, frequent oil changes have been routine with it. HELP HELP HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ive posted another thread but wanted to give another issue related to this problem. Pilot would shut down while driving when reaching operating temps, would emediately start back up until I drive a few minutes more then the same thing occurs. After weeks of troubleshooting, if I have one of the 2 bank 1 and bank 2 sensors unplugged, the car would never stall but the obvious 02 sensor code due to it not being plugged in. I can alternate each bank and car wont stall. If both plugged in, the car stalls. Bought 2 new sensors, same issue with stalling with both plugged in. Hears the kicker, if I have both new sensors plugged in, but not screwed into the cats, the car wont stall. I checked all fuses and relays, even went as far as replacing the fuse/relay box under the hood thinking that perhaps there was a short somewhere. Ive replaced the throttle body and guess pedal with the relearn procedure and a new pcm programmed by dealer and still same issue. The 3 codes I get when the 02 sensors are plugged in and screwed into the cats are P0135..P0155...and P0498, those pop up with the new 02 sensors as well. At this point, to keep the car running as we need it to commute, I have one of the 02 sensors unplugged. I do notice some hesitation on acceleration but think it may be due to the sensor unplugged. All 3 cats were replaced, I can only think of premature failure of bank 1 and 2 cats but wouldnt think it would cause it to stall when it reaches operating temp. The car does not stall at first start up and driving it until it reaches operating temp. At my wits end with 183k on it. Valve adjustment, timing belt, water pump, alternator,frequent oil changes have been routine with it. HELP HELP HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guys aint gonna believe this!!!!! So for chits n potatoes, decided to pull the plugs to see how they are burning, oh they were burning alright...to a crisp! So then I thought, if they are that far gone and all six cylinders, probably causing a lien fuel mixture that will throw off the air fuel mixture and timing, when it gets an operating temperature in a closed loop it would cut out, replaced all six spark plugs drove around, no issues! I am so aggravated with myself, lesson learned, start off with the basics first!

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts