Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2009 Honda Pilot with 166k miles. I have taken good care of it since I bought it new. It has only been serviced at the dealership where it was bought. I recently did a trip for Thanksgiving and put just over 2k miles on it. I had it serviced in preparation for the trip. During the trip I occasionally smelled some oil burning. I didn’t think much of it. I figured it was just due to the long drive. Now I noticed some oil drops in my driveway. It has never leaked anything before. I am fearing the worst, but hoping for the best. Any chance it’s from an oil plug or something simple?

·
Registered
556 Posts
First check your oil level via the dipstick to make sure you are not low. Correct if necessary.

Leak detection can be tricky but start with the basics like the drain bolt on the oil pan or where oil filter is mounted since you mention it was just serviced (assuming that included an oil change) right before you noticed burning oil. In you are not comfortable with checking yourself, then take it back to the dealer and explain that you started smelling burning oil right after their last service. A good shop will inspect it for you. Whether you identify the location or they do, it is was related to their service then they should correct their mistakes, if any, and top off the oil.

The burning oil probably came when the leaking oil came in contact with the exhaust. Keep in mind that airflow will cause fluids to run towards the back while driving and then they drip from the location when you're stopped. So the drip location on the driveway may not be indicative of the exact location but it is always worth looking above those drip spots for possible locations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I just looked at the filter. And there doesn’t seem to be any oil in that area. I did notice an amount of oil on one of the mounts just left of the filter.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Check your spool valve and look for oil on the alternator.

·
Registered
53 Posts
J35's are notorious for leaky spool valve gaskets. I've changed the gasket on all my J35's at around 150-200k miles. Other suspect areas are the valve covers, front and rear main seals.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oil burning smell is because the leak go on hot exhaust pipe.
Next time when you are back home put a cardboard under the engine area.
Check that after a couple of hours... but don't change the position.
Maybe like that you can see from where come the leak...

·
Registered
223 Posts
May just be that the dealer dripped some oil on the exhaust area, when removing the filter.

If it continues, have it looked at, but after 2,000 miles, the oil should be burnt off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts